Start a new topic

Database question

I seem to remember when you connected to a database table there was a dialogue in which you could change the direction of the source and target language. You can't change that direction anymore. Does that mean that if you want to use a table in the other direction you'll have to re-import it? It doesn't really matter much for a concordance search, but for Recall Segments?

H.

No answers? Well, okay. Databases are for freaks anyway.

H.

This is the dialogue I'm referring to:

It used to pop up every time you wanted to connect to a table. Now, it seems to pop up only when you selected a table that doesn't correspond to the language combination of the Project. But it still seems you can't switch the table anymore if - in this case - you translate from NL>DE.

H.

Hi Hans,

To recall the segments from Total Recall, you can do it via Memory > Recall memory... (or via Total Recall > Recall memory... menu). CafeTran should match the language direction to your current project language direction. You can also change the direction manually, clicking the language fields in that panel.

Igor

Yes, yes, Igor, I know. I'm the one who uses it. What I'm trying to say is that the pop-up screen doesn't show up if both TL and SL are there. So there's nothing I can do in a NL>EN project to a table that's EN>NL:

However, if I want to connect to a table in a "wrong" pair, the dialogue does pop up (see screenshot third entry above). It used to be that the dialogue popped up anyway.

H.

In your screenshot, you are not recalling the segments but wish to open the table for the manual search. Then, if the language pair is right the dialog does not pop-up. You can call it via Total Recall > Show memory table info.

If you wish to search the source segments, click the TS button in the Search toolbar.

If you wish to search the target segments, click the TT button in the Search toolbar.

Igor 

IK: In your screenshot, you are not recalling the segments but wish to open the table for the manual search.

That's what I mentioned in my very first posting.

Then, if the language pair is right the dialog does not pop-up.

It used to pop up. And the pair isn't right, it's reversed, and you can't switch it.

Now I had to search the SL by clicking the TL. And as I said in that first posting, that doesn't matter much. But good it is not. Switch using Show memory table info doesn't seem to work if you only use the table for concordance search. And yes, the search does show hits in both languages (which is strange enough in itself), so maybe TS and TT are superfluous?

H.

So can I use Menu, Edit | Find to search the table(s)? It seems I can't.

H.

Hi Hans,

You can perform the search both via the search toolbar and the search panel. The manual search for terms in segments in a  table (check box for either source or target segments) corresponds to the language direction as how you actually stored them in the table. Only when the segments are recalled for automatic matching does CafeTran switch the direction that corresponds to the project language direction.

Igor 

IK: You can perform the search both via the search toolbar and the search panel.

Well...

• I think you recently changed "something" in relation to the database
  • I can search using the search bar, but it doesn't matter what button I click, I get results for both the SL and the TL:

• I can't use the search panel. Not for the table. I must be doing something wrong, but I tried everything (well, apart from the correct way). I searched for terms that I know are in the database, I tried filer On/Off...

Only when the segments are recalled for automatic matching does CafeTran switch the direction that corresponds to the project language direction.

Well, yes. It's been converted to a TMX file by then, and that contains language information. And more. But still, I remember you could set the language direction when you first connected to a database for a project. 

H.

I can't use the search panel. Not for the table. I must be doing something wrong, but I tried everything (well, apart from the correct way). I searched for terms that I know are in the database, I tried filer 

You might have set the wrong scope or language direction in the Find and Replace panel.

IK: You might have set the wrong scope or language direction in the Find and Replace panel.

Worse. But I don't want to talk about it...

H.

Let me guess. :) You clicked the OK button instead of the Find button.

Kmitowski, now what did I say? I DO NOT want to talk about it. But it was worse, which is why I don't...

H.

Login to post a comment