Start a new topic

Hey Michael? Still reading here?

memoQ no longer "Thick as molasses"


Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:


The only real option in your list is memoQ: definitely the best, and highly recommended! memoQ 2015 is amazing.


Apart from expressing my sadness about the fact that you are no longer using my favourite tool too , I'd like to ask, what happened to "memoQ being 'Thick as molasses'" as you once stated?


Has this been solved completely? What was the culprit?


Please correct me if I'm wrong. You are primarily recommending memoQ because of:


- The way it supports Dragon speech recognition

- The way it organises its resources in the dashboard?


Any other features that made you switch back from my preferred tool and from Felix to memoQ?


And BTW, doesn't this constant hopping between CAT tools, and the required conversion/import of all your resources cost you lots of time?

I will address all of your points as soon as I have a moment. Kind of busy with my huge thread about anonymous names on Proz (4,000 views. 70 replies!) at the moment. Oh yeah, and the occasional translation job ;)


http://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/298913-why_do_people_who_have_been_on_proz_for_over_10_years_continue_to_hide_behind_silly_screen_names.html

I think my question is more important ;)


Just kidding.

>I will address all of your points as soon as I have a moment.


Please do!

I haven't forgotten, but no time at the moment, as I am installing/testing Windows 7 because I was/am having trouble with Dragon Professional Individual (14) + Windows 10.


MJWB

Please write a line or two about the nature of your problems with Dragon.


About memoQ: I had to use it because I got an online project that had to be reviewed. I'm quite sure that the program has its own logic but for me as a CafeTran user, it's hard to find basic features. Especially the fact that some very important features (like QA) are well hidden and cannot be accessed from the grid (unless I'm overlooking that feature), but you have instead to activate one of several "dashboards" (knoppenkasten) that memoQ offers.


As a matter of fact: I think that Studio's GUI is more intuitive. At least, that's what I'm thinking this morning ;).


1 person likes this

Concerning memoQ:


- indeed it has its own logic, that sometimes is hidden inside the options

- what me really irritates is the fact that the fuzzies tend to be irritating, especially if the segment contains more numbers than letters (e.g. a date becomes the fuzzy match of a telephone number ...)

- Kilgray puts a lot of effort into the Language Terminal feature - an aspect that does not really interest me

- no Mac version (I wanted to get rid of the VM hassle), this is a very personal argument, of course


cafetran.training wrote:

Please write a line or two about the nature of your problems with Dragon.

MJWB wrote:

I was having problems where Dragon Professional Individual (14) would constantly lose its connection with memoQ (and many other programs) under Windows 10. As a test, I then installed Windows 7 on my work laptop (I now have a dual boot system), and am currently finding that Dragon works perfectly once again. Of course, this could be due to many factors, such as the fact that my Windows 10 was actually an upgrade on top of Windows 7. However, since I can't really find anything that Windows 10 can do that Windows 7 can't that is important, I have decided to switch back to Windows 7 for the time being as a fully functioning copy of Dragon is the most important thing for me the moment my work computer.


cafetran.training wrote:

About memoQ: I had to use it because I got an online project that had to be reviewed. I'm quite sure that the program has its own logic but for me as a CafeTran user, it's hard to find basic features. Especially the fact that some very important features (like QA) are well hidden and cannot be accessed from the grid (unless I'm overlooking that feature), but you have instead to activate one of several "dashboards" (knoppenkasten) that memoQ offers.

MJWB wrote:

You can actually customise the Quick Access tab, so you can put anything you want in really. You can even create a special tab just for QA stuff, if you want. Just right click on the "Quick Access" tab and select "customise the ribbon".


cafetran.training wrote:

As a matter of fact: I think that Studio's GUI is more intuitive. At least, that's what I'm thinking this morning ;).

MJWB wrote:

Ha ha ha. No thanks. I absolutely detest that program. And it's all Paul's fault. ;)


Michael

Login to post a comment