Start a new topic

Question: Two CTs on same computer?

Igor,

CT is still difficult to use for people who work with multiple source and target languages. I wonder if it's possible to install 2 or more CTs on the same computer, so that I wouldn't have to adjust my settings each and every day when I switch between projects. What happens if I copy CT under a different name in a different folder? Will both CTs work independently? I didn't try (afraid).

I'm not Igor, but I think that for each and every instance of CafeTran you will be needing a license. You have two, as you know.

BTW: Would you task be possible with some kind of template mechanism?

@Hans : BTW: Would you task be possible with some kind of template mechanism?

Yes, some sort of template that remembers the Preferences and the TM settings for a certain source language.
My Japanese TM properties, for example, would not be switched from "Fuzzy" to "Fuzzy without word separator" every time I start an EN-FR job after closing a JP-FR job, or vice versa.
Hello,

Creating a dummy project (like a project template) may work for you.

Example for an EN-FR project:
Create a short (one-line) English Word file and create an EN-FR project with it. Import all standard TMs and glossaries you usually use for this type of project, adjust all settings/properties/preferences to your needs, and then save the project for future use.

For a real EN-FR job, open this dummy project and add the real document for translation (Project > Add document).

Cheers,

@M, I don't think projects include settings (such as Fuzzy matching settings - see the original question).

One option would be to save a settings files for each language (via Preferences -> Export) and then import the required file whenever you switch language.

Alternatively, you could as you originally suggested have two cafetran installations in parallel - I'm pretty sure this should work without any problems, as it's a cross-platform Java application, though as mentioned above you will presumably need two licenses.

Hi,

On the same computer, running two CafeTran instances from two different location will invalidate the license. You would need to reimport it. Reusing the project as a template is a partial solution since it will work for CafeTran projects only. I hope to come up with the more universal solution such choosing a set of properties for the project or a sort of a template file.

Igor

>I hope to come up with the more universal solution such choosing a set of properties for the project or a sort of a template file.

That's good news for Hans van de Broek! He has been asking a long time for this!

Login to post a comment