Start a new topic

Questions about the Clipboard workflow

I'm currently studying the Clipboard workflow and I have some questions. I've watched Igor's video (and I've created two myself) but still don't understand everything. Hope you can fill in the blanks:

• What's the function of the command Edit > Copy target segments to clipboard, in this workflow? Obviously, it cannot be used to paste the content of the Target segment pane back to the originating app.
  • Since I think that this workflow can be great to quickly translate one new paragraph in a Word document, while working on a big ongoing project: is it possible to start this Clipboard workflow independently from the Translate Document workflow?
  • Why is it that bold, italics and underlined aren't supported?
  • Are there any features that facilitate the app switching?

Other questions will follow

Like this additional question:

• What can be the use of a floating auto-assembling bar in this workflow?

What I'd also like to know:

• How does CafeTran's Clipboard workflow compare with SDL's T-Clipboard?

CT: Why is it that bold, italics and underlined aren't supported?

Because the whole idea of the clipboard workflow is to be able to work without formatting. As far as I'm concerned, it's only useful if your source document is tag-ridden.

...is it possible to start this Clipboard workflow independently from the Translate Document workflow?

No, but you can quit the current project, create a new one for the clipboard workflow, and later open the previous project to continue it. CafeTran 101.

H.

> Because the whole idea of the clipboard workflow is to be able to work without formatting.

Yes, that's the main idea behind it to be able to apply the formatting in your favorite editor or word processor on the translated fragment. Note that here you can work with larger chunks of text than sentences. Then, CafeTran applies its own segmentation rules.

1 person likes this

I don't always get this big blue button with info about the Clipboard workflow, above the Source segment pane. How come?

And it should be enough to copy content to the Clipboard in e.g. Acrobat to get the translation of the very first segment started on Mac? Or do I have to click the Next segment icon in the Target segment pane first?

What exactly is the order of steps to start?

Just did my first real project with this wf. 3 sentences, marked yellow, in a PDF. (Got it started by clicking several times here and there, then I noticed that the first sentence was copied to the target and the translation process started with the 2nd sentence: must have done something wrong.)

After the third segment I got the usual notice that I could export the document, but before I could click anything, a document was opened. As it turned out, it was in the old DOC format (instead of DOCX).

Interesting finding: When I reopen a Clipboard project ... it's still in Clipboard modus. That offers nice opportunities: A 'generic' Clipboard project per client, to quickly translate isolated parts, e.g. in PDFs.

Now only the quick project switching has to be solved :).

CTT: Now only the quick project switching has to be solved :).

1. Close current project
  2. On the Dashboard, select a project

No need for a macro. NO NEED FOR A MACRO. As long as you keep your projects in the same location, there shouldn't be a problem. Until the number of projects exceeds the number of projects the drop-down menu can handle. Ask Igor.

H.

Duh, I always quit CafeTran. I can indeed just close the project only. However, when I return to the project, the resources aren't reloaded. I suggest a unique idea, one that I've invented on my own: project templates. I'm probably the first to ask for that.

The SDL app is called: T-Window for Clipboard: http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/sdlt-windowforclipboard-67.html I'll try to find a video of the workflow
No video but a PDF: http://producthelp.sdl.com/kb/Articles/3688.pdf

cafetran.training: ...resources aren't reloaded

They are. They are saved in the XLF:

The green arrow points to basic formatting, applied the usual way (no need for that Gruber):

Resulting in:

H.

Actually, you may apply the formatting either in Word or in CafeTran (via the right-click context bar). On Mac, there is an issue with applying the custom format (bold, underline, italics) in CafeTran when transferring the formatted text via the clipboard. I have it already fixed and the update should be uploaded today or tomorrow.

Igor

>resources aren't reloaded

They are reloaded in native XLIFF, not in Studio projects

>On Mac, there is an issue with applying the custom format (bold, underline, italics) in CafeTran when transferring the formatted text via the clipboard.

Thanks for the fix (and implicit confirmation of my findings! 

Login to post a comment