Start a new topic

How many hours do you work a day?

This is a real coffee talk.

I usually work (translate) seven hours a day.

I've got to enter a certain state of mind (sometimes similar to New York State of Mind) to do translations, but it does not last longer.

I sometimes find it impossibly difficult to switch my brain between English and Japanese, two fundamentally different linguistic structures (views on the world).

Of course, I know that's where I can make money!

It always depends on many factors.

There are many translations that need this special set of mind, but there are perhaps also (simple) translations that can be recited mechanically. In both cases IMHO five to seven hours are the maximum. You might work longer, but the quality will suffer a lot and you will get exhausted and burnt out.

Do not forget that you need to work on many other things, e.g. taxes (even with an advisor), invoicing, client acquisition and bidding (no matter whether at platforms such as Proz.com or end clients, even with automated mailings), networking and there should be also some time for maintenance and expansion of your TMs and TBs. And even as an advanced user of a CAT tool you should work on your skills and adapt new features of your program(s). This might expand your productivity (just as an idea: How about a "CafeTran Quickie" once a week, a short tutorial or video presenting a feature/command that might be ignored by many users, e.g. "Delete to the end of segment"?).

>How about a "CafeTran Quickie" once a week, a short tutorial or video presenting a feature/command that might be ignored by many users, e.g. "Delete to the end of segment"?).

Yeah, splendid idea, Torsten. I hope to see your first video production soon ;).

Actually, I took my MacBook Pro to office today, to quickly record the installation of a license and the translation of a very tiny Word document (as requested):

Re the CafeTran quickie, wouldn't this be better done with a small 'Tips' window which pops up on startup (á la every other complex program)?

Small videos on micro tasks are indeed the way to go.

Hi, amos

I recently happened to discover the "Help bar" appearing at the very bottom of the screen, which shows short tips.

OMG!!! Thank you Masato!!! That is exactly what CafeTran has been missing!! (Except it hasn't, it's just been so well hidden I've never noticed it.)
That's a really useful feature.
Tips (primarily useful shortcut keys) would still be a good addition though.

Login to post a comment