Start a new topic

The name of the TM in Studio packages

The name of the TM in Studio packages is the code of the target language pair, e.g. en_GB.

Two questions arise:

• What will happen when several TMs are included in the package?
  • Is this design decision a good one, or would it be better to derive the name of the TM from another source, e.g. the project name?

>> Is this design decision a good one, or would it be better to derive the name of the TM from another source, e.g. the project name?

To me, using the original name of each SDLTM seems natural.

I would prefer 2 possibilities:

- set a prefix such as SDL_TM_<target language code> or sth similar

- set a name such as <Package name>_<target language code> (or indeed a mix of both)

The name in the tab should be short. En_gb is short, but a little meaningless

How about imouto?

Great idea. 

How do most users work with these TMs? Usually I set them to Read-only (or isn't this the default setting?), as i prefer a 2nd, active TM on my own. These integrated TMs can be a source of valuable information, but in many, many cases they aren't. BTW: Perhaps it would also make sense to alert "This TM is empty - do you really want to add it? Y/N" instead of adding an empty TM.

cafetran.training aka Hans CfeTran Wiki aka 2nl aka etc.: What will happen when several TMs are included in the package?

I couldn't care less what the client's TM is called in CT, but the above is exactly the reason why Cafetran does care: CT only wants to open the TM for your target language from the ones provided in the SDLPPX, and therefore needs the target language code, rather than anything else:

You know what? That makes sense. But of course you can force Igor to rename it. Why not? It's very, very important after all.

H.

Torsten: Usually I set them to Read-only

Yes:

See http://cafetran4mac.blogspot.co.id/2015/03/tmx-files-approach.html

H.

Could we please behave like decent people without claiming that this point is the end of the world or of CT?

Maybe this is not the most important question, but the actual behavior can be irritating, even for some advanced user (in my case, the actual name de_DE is quite similar to the names of my TBs, so I sometimes join it by accident to my TM).

Torsten: ... the actual name de_DE

da_Da (Ich lieb dich nicht)

H.

I've still no clue here. Someday an idea will pop up.

I've organised my projects from a certain level on per client. Each client got his own folder.

Perhaps it would be an option to use this (sub)folder name as the name for the included TM?

Well, still tapping around in the dark here.

Torsten: ...the actual name de_DE is quite similar to the names of my TBs

So because of your naming system, Igor has to do something? Why don't you change your naming (see below).

Anyway, whatever Igor does, the naming thing is quite interesting. I mean naming your own resources. It's sort of important as well, because of the way CT shows your previously used resources in both the Menu and on the Dashboard. I think that's alphabetically (not a hundred percent sure, though).* So I think you can say we have the following possibilities:

• You translate from only one language into one language: No language identifiers required, just call the TMX files ACME, FooBar, etc.
  • You translate from two or more languages into one language: Only the source language should be identified, DE ACME, EN FooBar (my case, the target language is always NL)
  • You translate from one language into one language, both directions: No language identifiers required, just call them ACME, FooBar, etc., since you can reverse them when you set up a project
  • You translate from one language into several other language languages: You’ll only have to specify the target language
  • You translate from several languages into several other languages: Go and see your doctor, that special one

*I can't check this for TMs at the moment, but I seem to remember CT sorts all resources alphabetically, and in the case of tabels, that is the case.

Since I think it's smart to start with the language identifier, Igor doesn't have to do a thing. Am I overlooking something?

H.

Okay, a point for you (though I won't change my naming scheme), but this does not change the fact that the actual name is rather meaningless.

Just try to see it with the mind of a beginner. You drag a package to the Dashboard and there pops up a dialogue for a TM with an unknown name. WTF? Sure, as experienced user you know this must be the package TM, but as a novice? A kind of explanation/dialog box and/or a good prefix (okay, not really "Imouto") would really help here.

And indeed, it is irritating for a novice when he confirms this TM and it is empty. And using this TM as active TM and then not to find it (as it is not in the personal/default TM folder) is even more irritating.

BTW, one more argument to set the Creep-Dos TM to read-only by default: the TM is inside the package folder structure (somewhere on your hard disk, but not in your personal TM folder), and AFAIK it won't come back as entry in the dashboard (for future use). This is of course valid as long as the client does not want the Trados TM (as a whole, old TM + new TM) back, but as long as the package and/or the SDLXLIFF file works for him, he won't.

CafeTran should not only work for the "happy few" or "special ones", but also – at least in some cases – offer a kind of explanation for newbies/novices. 

Torsten: ...but this does not change the fact that the actual name is rather meaningless.

It is meaningless, but it's also not important. Whereas naming your own TMs meaningfully is. My point(s) above refer to that.

You drag a package to the Dashboard and there pops up a dialogue for a TM with an unknown name.

True, and it surprised me the first time as well. But since you gave your own TMs meaningful names, there can hardly be another source for it than the package. And even if you didn't give them meaningful names, it'll come clear in a second. I mean, it's there, it contains useful stuff (hopefully), and you never created it. What else can it be?

The only thing I can think of that is both meaningful and short (and it has to be short), and isn't rather difficult to code would be "Client TM."

...it is irritating for a novice when he confirms this TM and it is empty

Yep. Nothing you can do about it. 

CafeTran should not only work for the "happy few" or "special ones"

Hear! Hear! Now who's the old fool again who is aways complaining about things that only work for the "happy few" who don't know what they are doing?

H.

> CafeTran should not only work for the "happy few" or "special ones"

Hear! Hear! Now who's the old fool again who is aways complaining about things that only work for the "happy few" who don't know what they are doing?

I hear and I hope that Ichiro is doing some steps in the right direction in this regard.

Login to post a comment