Start a new topic

Q: What is "intuitive"?

This forum has been scaringly silent since then. So, I want to start this challenging topic, though I know it is somewhat vague.

I have witnessed not a few instances of what the developer thinks is intuitive not being taken as such by some or many forum participants, and sometimes causing confusion.

Of course, I'm 1,000% sure that he has no intention to do us harm.

Then, what went wrong?

I really want to know this for the benefit of both sides.

CafeTran is not intuitive, and it will never be in my opinion. More features will be added every month, every week... for the geek (me included). But that is what we ask, what we want, and happily Igor is a genius.

Cheers,

Selcuk

Indeed. It will depend on how you define "intuitive" (scientifically). There might also exist something like "usability". Some internet companies are testing out where the visitors' eyes are going/moving, just to improve this usability.

After working several months with any CAT program you will get used to most of the processes of your daily use, though – no matter whether Trados, memoQ or CafeTran – you will use only 50-80 % of all features. When there might occur a major change in the GUI or a new feature, you will probably be against it, as you could be forced to change your habits. Or you simply don't get used to it (so for you it will be counter-intuitive, but for others not). A very often cited example in CAT tools is the introduction of the ribbon (in Trados and memoQ).

Maybe the best way to avoid this kind of frustration is to offer broad keyboard support and a very flexible GUI.

Two examples for CT:

Here you will find a proposal for better menus.

And here is a discussion of how to mark words to enable auto-completion in any case (whether marked by mouse or by keyboard).

Just when I started writing a reply, a message came in, announcing the release of a new build. Now, the menu is much simpler (maybe I should not say more "intuitive").

Well I know what it's not - it's not hiding menus. I just installed the new version and it's a definite thumbs down from me. :(  CT's UI problem is not too many menus, it's non-standard terminology and the lack of or brevity of tool-tips.

Intuition in this context means requiring minimum instruction to use - that means using established terminology rather than making up new words for established concepts and using standard interface concepts.
CT scores highly on the second and low on the first.

Perhaps the wrong place for it, but a suggestion on the menus - if there is genuine demand for the ability to hide menus (of which I'd require some convincing), how about a button on the right where menus can be hidden or displayed (cf. "Select columns for display" in Thunderbird and many other programs):

png

Seconded, I asked for a keyboard shortcut for this in the Harbinger thread just some moments ago.

So, we should continue discussion about the menu structure and other aspects of UI in the Harbinger thread. See you there!

Hi Jeremy,

> Intuition in this context means requiring minimum instruction to use - that means using established terminology rather than making up new words for established concepts and using standard interface > > > concepts. CT scores highly on the second and low on the first.

I would love to keep the standard terminology established by linguists in the first place. The problem might be when CafeTran introduces some features that may have not been used before. See the Pre-translation feature and the Total Recall process. If I propose a name, it can be corrected in the future. Other CAT tools make up names as well . I heard 'muse', 'match patch', 'deep mining' etc., which does not sound like a standard name at all. I am even not sure if Auto-assembling is a standard name. It is rather a geeky name first used in another CAT. Machine translation or Automatic translation sounds more appropriate to me.

Igor 

Login to post a comment