Start a new topic

Last questions about menu, icon and task names before CafeTran 2016 goes public?

Should we suggest the last changes to menu, icon and task names in CafeTran 2016 before it goes public and the menus and dialogue boxes will be frozen for a year or so (unless important reasons make changes necessary of course)?

• Should Join segments be renamed to Merge segments (or: Merge with next segment)? This way the term 'Join' could be reserved for combining resources/tabs.
  • Should the Next segment icon be the first one in the Target segment pane?
  • Should its name be changed to something like Go next, to avoid double naming?
  • In the Task menu it would be good if it could be made visible that many tasks also work on a filtered result.
  • It would be useful if CafeTran would show (via a * or colour) that certain changes to menu settings, Edit > Options etc. require a restart of CafeTran–whereas others don't. This is currently completely unclear. I've seen users getting really annoyed about the unpredictability of this.
  • Should the division between Export and Convert to Package for SDL projects etc. be removed? Export is always Export, period, my suggestion would be. (Is it for a new user really so important that the underlying processes are different here?)
  • Would it be any improvement/simplification to rename the Jump menu to Skip?
  • Now that the final word has been spoken about Segment and Fragment Memories, which are CafeTran's core technology, would it be wise to rename all occurrences of Translation Memory to Segments Memory, while adding '(TM)' at crucial places (e.g. in the Dashboard)? It takes courage, but I'd welcome this change.
  • You valued suggestions please ...

BTW: Close active tab via Ctrl+W doesn't work on my MacBook Pro.

>Should its name be changed to something like Go next, to avoid double naming?

Save & Go

Save & Next

Save & Go next

Hans CafeTran Wiki: ...and the menus and dialogue boxes will be frozen for a year or so

What a brilliant idea.

H.

Hans CafeTran Wiki: Now that the final word has been spoken about Segment and Fragment Memories

Huh? It's only you who has been bullshitting about this. I don't particularly like it when you have "the final word" about anything. Come back when you begin to understand things.

...which are CafeTran's core technology, would it be wise to rename all occurrences of Translation Memory to Segments Memory

No. Because TMX files are also way superior for single words.

H.

Apart from your very offensive language in a professional and public forum, which you should be ashamed of: please read back. It is Igor who made this distinction. Am I the only one to find this language insulting? I'd appreciate to hear the opinion of other users here. I really don't like robe addressed this way and I'd appreciate some moderation here.
robe = to be

I find the way you play the dictator and Mr. Know-It-All here far more insulting. I've had it. Prepare yourself for the worst in 2016. I may even re-join the old forum.

H.

Please wait. Let other users speak first. If they find that I am dictating what others should think, I feel that I must stop participating here. I'd regret doing so but if your qualification of me really is valid, I should stop writing about CafeTran here and in all other public places. Let our valued colleagues decide here.

Democracy? After political correctness, the conception I hate most. Hoi polloi make the wrong choices by default.

H.

Yes, Hans, I do understand that you think that way. But, let's be honest, our constant battles here and elsewhere are doing no-one good. They are spoiling my good feeling. I am so tired of constantly being attacked by you (from out of anonymity) and others here and at Proz every time when I write something positive about CafeTran. You teaming up with CafeTran adversaries like Gerard de Noord (Wordfast trainer), Erik Freitag (Studio fan) and Robert Rietvelt (Studio fan) at Proz to make me look ridiculous, calling me a disgrace for our profession really hurts me. And I think that's the intention.

I've never wanted to dictate what others should feel or think. I've nearly always stated my ideas as suggestions or questions (hence the many question marks I used). On many occasions I have written clearly that I don't know the answer to how things are done, so I don't think that I am a know it all.

At the beginning of this new year I have to draw a line: either you go from this Freshdesk, the CafeTran group at Google Groups and from the CafeTran forum at Proz or I do. We obviously cannot be present in these public forums without creating threads that have little to do with CafeTran's virtues.

Hans CafeTran Wiki: either you go from this Freshdesk, the CafeTran group at Google Groups and from the CafeTran forum at Proz or I do.

I actually like that idea. Since I won't leave voluntarily, you'll have to go, or Igor will have to kick me out.

H.

>Since I won't leave voluntarily

I have tried to delete my account, but it looks that this isn't possible.

Igor, if you are reading this: please delete my account.

For your information, Hans: I've deleted my Proz account so that you can no longer harass me there. I've also unsubscribed from the CafeTranslators group at Google Groups, for the same reason. I'm very disappointed for all lack of support, but okay, you win.

Hi guys,

Just in case I forgot: "Happy New Year" :)

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with the clash of ideas and approaches presented here or elsewhere, no matter how opposite they are. Personally, I don't find Hans L's requests imposing although the way they are formulated by using the word "should" might imply some enforcing of the ideas on other users, right? I really don't know. So perhaps instead of the word "should", one might find it slightly less intimidating when something weaker is used. And I also think that the power users should (beep, the wrong word) - may I request that power users, when suggesting a feature or a proper terminology, look at CafeTran with the eyes of a newbie who may have no idea what you are talking about? For example, what is a "TM"?, I would ask myself if I knew nothing about CATS.

I understand Hans v. d. B. drive for simplicity when sticking to Translation Memory to hold both segments and fragments/terms. I would suggest that approach to new users myself. It is elegant and simple to have one file format and interface for both. However, the usage of text glossaries for more sophisticated organization of multilingual terminology (with synonyms, optional regular expressions and various fields), their simple edition in external text editors and Excel (far friendlier and flexible/extensible than an SQL termbase approach, by the way), their helpful function in auto-assembling due to the exactness in matching is perfectly acceptable for more advanced users who wish to tune their more sophisticated and efficient workflow. To be precise, one might call them "Auto-assembling glossaries" because I can see their usefulness for the users who rely on Auto-assembling function heavily. When one solution is perfect for some power users, it may be absolutely complex and frustrating to the new users. I think this is the very core of the clash in your posts about CafeTran, which I hope is not the reason for "leaving" or "kicking out".

Igor

Hello Igor,

Thanks for your diplomacy. To answer your question:

>I think this is the very core of the clash in your posts about CafeTran, which I hope is not the reason for "leaving" or "kicking out".

For me it is not. I've always tried to be tolerant for colleagues who prefer other workflows. The reason for me wanting to leave this forum and every forum where Hans van den Broek AKA Woorden AKA Meta Arkadia etc. etc. is active, is his constant aggressive, unfair, disdaining, respect-less attitude.

Since no other person feels the need to correct him, I can only conclude that I'm to blame myself by provoking Hans. In that case it is only fair that I leave.

All the best!

Hans

Login to post a comment