CafeTran Espresso 2016 Harbinger

Hi all,

It is my pleasure to announce CafeTran Espresso 2016 Harbinger available for download. The users who purchased the program after 22 April 2015, in the new licensing system, do not have to install it anew. They can update it via a simple drag and drop procedure as follows:

1. Run CafeTran.

2. Download 20151127_update.zip file from here (do not unzip or rename the file after downloading) and place it on your desktop.

Note: On Mac OSX, the Safari web browser may unzip the file automatically after downloading. To prevent this, just use the right-click menu and choose the "Download Linked File" command.

3. Drag and drop the downloaded file into the Project Dashboard and restart the program.

4. Drag and drop the downloaded file into the Project Dashboard and restart the program. Second time!

The step 4 above is only for users who missed the update 10 with the new icon sets.

The update includes the following changes:

1. The new word/characters count in the Statistics function diplaying the speed of translation in CafeTran running session.

2. The new option for subsegment matching called "Subsegment hits threshold" to reduce the display of low-quality subsegment matches. The default value is 3 which ensures the hits below this number are discarded.

3. The machine translation panes get two new buttons to let the user transfer the MT translation to the target segment and repeat the query with the selected fragment in a more intuitive way.

4. Localized formating of numbers can also take place when the numbers are inside parenthesis.

5. The fix in the typing of accented characters in Portuguese on Mac OS X.

As we approach the year 2016, I think it makes sense to change the name to CafeTran Espresso 2016 Harbinger. This 2016 version of CafeTran is also the summary of all the improvements, changes and fixes made this year.

Have a nice weekend!

Igor

Hi, Igor

I welcome these changes!

Now, a few comments.

Match Bar floating
1. Suggestion: It might be better if we see the search box remaining on the main panel when the Match Bar is floated.
2. Room for improvement: When the Match Bar is floated, and maybe after showing/hiding the search box once, clicking on the "A" icon (auto-assembling panel) shows nothing (the other icons are OK). When it is de-floated, it works nicely.

View Menu
Suggestion: This is OK for me, but some users may prefer "cumulative" display rather than "exclusive."

For example, as regards Resource/Memory/Glossary/Total Recall, some may want to show more than one of them at the same time.

Cheers,

Masato

Hi Masato,

>When the Match Bar is floated, and maybe after showing/hiding the search box once, clicking on the "A" icon (auto-assembling panel) shows nothing.

When floated, there is no need to use the Auto-assembling button since the Auto-assembling result is displayed and clickable under the bar.

This is OK for me, but some users may prefer "cumulative" display rather than "exclusive."

I wish to avoid such over-cumulation of menu items. It takes only one click to switch the menu and the user has far less distracting interface.

> 1. Suggestion: It might be better if we see the search box remaining on the main panel when the Match Bar is floated.

The only reason for including the search box in the floating Match Bar is the ability to perform searches when working in external applications. You can still use the search keyboard shortcuts from the main panel.

Thanks Igor, for finally a rather clear menu structure (I won't complain now about some details).

But I am still unsure whether it is a good idea to hide a part of the menus and to open them exclusively instead of side by side. I do not think that users will get used to this. There should at least be a possibility to trigger them / make them visible with a certain shortcut (similar - but only similar to press Cmd-L to see the Library folder in the „Go to“-Menu of the Mac Finder).

Okay, I will update the preview version of CafeTran with the inclusive display of the menus soon. This will give a higher degree of customization for advanced users.

Igor

1 person likes this

Significant simplification of the menu interface. The menus with the power features can be activated/deactivated now when you need them in your workflow. See the View menu.

The exclusive display of menus was a good idea but perhaps not at this stage. Now I see that CafeTran is ready for a ribbon (though I don't like ribbons).

Selcuk

Thank you for your feedback! It helps me refine the UI elements. The preview is available for testing with the following changes:

• Inclusive selection of the menus with advanced features.
  • Renaming Pretranslation function to Preliminary memory matching.
  • Project Glossary check box is back in the Project Configuration panel (for those who forget to check it in the Dashboard).

The update (build 2016010901) can be performed via the usual drag and drop with the same download file as described at the start of this thread.

Igor
Hi, Igor

A very minor issue: please also change "Pre-translate only" on the TM settings panel in the next build.

Cheers,

A very minor issue: please also change "Pre-translate only" on the TM settings panel in the next build.

Okay, it is fixed. Thanks!

Igor

I must confess that I am very delighted by the new menu structure (maybe some details, but okay).

Only one thing that is really irritating: The order when all menus are visible is 

Resources – Memory – Glossary - Total Recall

Shouldn't it be

Resources – Glossary – Memory – Total Recall

instead, as this is such more logical?

(and yes, a menu command to expand/collapse all menus at once (or one of the two menu items' group) would be fine, but this is just a detail)

2 people like this

TRE: Resources – Glossary – Memory – Total Recall

Glossary shouldn't be there at all.

H.

I like it the way it is - in order of frequency of use.

IK: ...auto-propagation of segment with different numbers.

If you enable that, what happens to comma<>dot conversion, if applicable?

Say you have:

distance 5 km

distance 3.2 km

H.

In Harbinger, the auto-propagated numbers remain unchanged but please be patient since the localized auto-propagation of numbers will be included soon.

Igor

IK: but please be patient since the localized auto-propagation of numbers will be included soon.

I want to make it absolutely clear that this wasn't a feature request. Besides, I wonder how to accomplish this for people who work with two source languages, like me, one that needs comma<>dot conversion (EN>NE), one that doesn't (DE>NE).

H.

Login to post a comment