CafeTran Espresso 2016 Harbinger

Hi all,

It is my pleasure to announce CafeTran Espresso 2016 Harbinger available for download. The users who purchased the program after 22 April 2015, in the new licensing system, do not have to install it anew. They can update it via a simple drag and drop procedure as follows:

1. Run CafeTran.

2. Download 20151127_update.zip file from here (do not unzip or rename the file after downloading) and place it on your desktop.

Note: On Mac OSX, the Safari web browser may unzip the file automatically after downloading. To prevent this, just use the right-click menu and choose the "Download Linked File" command.

3. Drag and drop the downloaded file into the Project Dashboard and restart the program.

4. Drag and drop the downloaded file into the Project Dashboard and restart the program. Second time!

The step 4 above is only for users who missed the update 10 with the new icon sets.

The update includes the following changes:

1. The new word/characters count in the Statistics function diplaying the speed of translation in CafeTran running session.

2. The new option for subsegment matching called "Subsegment hits threshold" to reduce the display of low-quality subsegment matches. The default value is 3 which ensures the hits below this number are discarded.

3. The machine translation panes get two new buttons to let the user transfer the MT translation to the target segment and repeat the query with the selected fragment in a more intuitive way.

4. Localized formating of numbers can also take place when the numbers are inside parenthesis.

5. The fix in the typing of accented characters in Portuguese on Mac OS X.

As we approach the year 2016, I think it makes sense to change the name to CafeTran Espresso 2016 Harbinger. This 2016 version of CafeTran is also the summary of all the improvements, changes and fixes made this year.

Have a nice weekend!

Igor

The two issues may have been related. It should work okay after you corrected the header.

>The two issues may have been related. It should work okay after you corrected the header.

Just tested again. Nope. Change to the source term is not stored in the ProjectTerms file.

>4. Minor interface and terminology changes discussed on the forum and aimed at making CafeTran the intuitive tool.

Absolutely true! CafeTran's getting more and more intuitive. The approach to hide things until they are necessary is nice. I think that Apple uses it too in its software.

However, to call the changes in the latest build 'minor' is actually a good joke. Just have a look at the Edit > Options. A new tab, everything has been reshuffled. 

Not a problem, as far as I'm concerned. But if someone would like to give a hand in updating the descriptions in the wiki, that would be great.

MyMemory MT doesn't work here anymore... A result of non-matching language codes?

Simplification? Intuitive? My foot!

Without documentation, newbies won't understand CT, neither will oldbies.

Yesterday's problem

• Couldn't connect to the database anymore when translating EU BS. I need the DGT and IATE.
Today's problems
  • Igor suggested to reset the Options. I did. It worked, (why? No explanation), could connect to the database again. My settings gone, and in my case, settings are everything. Now I was smart enough not only to export the settings, but also to make screenshots of them. Importing the "old" settings didn't work, so I used the screenshots.
  • The settings have changed. More settings, other terminology (why? No explanation). I tried to restore them. Couldn't connect to the database again.
  • I reverted to the penultimate build. The settings are the "new" settings, so I don't know what I'm doing, but at least I could connect to the database.
It's a mess.

H.

1 person likes this

> MyMemory MT doesn't work here anymore... A result of non-matching language codes?

Perhaps their server was down for a while. It works here all right.

>My settings gone, and in my case, settings are everything. Now I was smart enough not only to export the settings, but also to make screenshots of them. Importing the "old" settings didn't work, so I used the screenshots.

Yes. I had to do that a lot of times. Nothing new. Not a big problem for me. When menus etc. change a lot, restoring the settings XML isn't a good idea. It can cause your CafeTran to freeze. Indeed, always make some screenshots and store passkeys etc. in a text file too. Up and running in 5 minutes then.

>Perhaps their server was down for a while. It works here all right.

Here too now :).

Absolutely true! CafeTran's getting more and more intuitive. The approach to hide things until they are necessary is nice. I think that Apple uses it too in its software.

Thank you for noticing this! It has been the highest priority recently.

The settings have changed. More settings, other terminology (why? No explanation). I tried to restore them. Couldn't connect to the database again.

I would recommend restoring the settings manually. These are usually 3 or 4 Memory options customized by the user and reverting to your favorite color theme. 

The switch from 2015 to 2016 version requires some changes with the settings that most users don't even notice. And for those few (one reported so far) affected by any change, it is usually only a matter of resetting the program in Options so that the new settings take effect and the old ones get erased. With the exception of the switch from Java 6 to Java 8 on Mac OSX in April this year, I have been trying to make CafeTran updates as smooth as possible without the need to reinstall the program.

Now, the preview of the 2016 version is available and I listen to any suggestions and remarks carefully for the final polishing of this version. Thank you so much!

Igor 

>Now, the preview of the 2016 version is available and I listen to any suggestions and remarks carefully for the final polishing of this version.

Thank you so much for making my professional life fun again. You really did.

IK: Thank you for noticing this!

Changes, any changes, even changes "that most users don't even notice", shouldn't be noticed by a user, they should be communicated in advance, or latest at the release of a new build. All of them.

H.

I do communicate the changes. Please see my announcements. It is just that once in a while, I am not aware of the issue that a change may cause until the user reports it. Then, I fix it immediately if possible.

Just tested again. Nope. Change to the source term is not stored in the ProjectTerms file.

It should be stored immediately. Please make sure your glossary isn't set as 'read only'.

Request for the previous glossary pane layout

When using a glossary that contains many columns (this is necessary for me)

New pane layout in Default Layout 1

Not so good, but tolerable (though I don't want CT to make me tolerate ...)

But in Layout 2, it's just intolerable

Previous layout looks very good in Layout 2 as well

So, I want to ask for the implementation of the previous layout (that hides synonyms). Without it, I don't feel like installing the new version.

An option is OK.

I noticed that you had the courage to add the item (label) Segments Memory to the New Memory dialogue box. I understand why: because the Segments Memory and the Fragments Memory are crucial resources. And they make CafeTran unique (I guess).

So why not go all the way and rename the TM to SM in the Dashboard and last item of the Memory menu too?

Yes, I know, less lucky people will say: we call this SM a TM, but should we bother?

Login to post a comment