CafeTran Espresso 2016 Harbinger

Hi all,

It is my pleasure to announce CafeTran Espresso 2016 Harbinger available for download. The users who purchased the program after 22 April 2015, in the new licensing system, do not have to install it anew. They can update it via a simple drag and drop procedure as follows:

1. Run CafeTran.

2. Download 20151127_update.zip file from here (do not unzip or rename the file after downloading) and place it on your desktop.

Note: On Mac OSX, the Safari web browser may unzip the file automatically after downloading. To prevent this, just use the right-click menu and choose the "Download Linked File" command.

3. Drag and drop the downloaded file into the Project Dashboard and restart the program.

4. Drag and drop the downloaded file into the Project Dashboard and restart the program. Second time!

The step 4 above is only for users who missed the update 10 with the new icon sets.

The update includes the following changes:

1. The new word/characters count in the Statistics function diplaying the speed of translation in CafeTran running session.

2. The new option for subsegment matching called "Subsegment hits threshold" to reduce the display of low-quality subsegment matches. The default value is 3 which ensures the hits below this number are discarded.

3. The machine translation panes get two new buttons to let the user transfer the MT translation to the target segment and repeat the query with the selected fragment in a more intuitive way.

4. Localized formating of numbers can also take place when the numbers are inside parenthesis.

5. The fix in the typing of accented characters in Portuguese on Mac OS X.

As we approach the year 2016, I think it makes sense to change the name to CafeTran Espresso 2016 Harbinger. This 2016 version of CafeTran is also the summary of all the improvements, changes and fixes made this year.

Have a nice weekend!

Igor

CafeTran Espresso 2016 Harbinger is being tuned for the final release soon. These are the latest changes,

- Selection of the working language pair in the Dashboard.

- More intuitive process of the creation of the new project - activation of the UI elements when they are actually needed. 

- Reduction of the main interface buttons to the basic functions.

- The search bar is off by default now. It has a quick on/off access by the keyboard shortcut CTRL (Windows, Linux) or Command (Mac) + Shift + F).

- Fixed the removal of translation memories via the right-click in the Dashboard.

- Fixed the unnecessary "Save" pop-up dialog when the working memory comes from Total Recall.

- Fixed an issue with the format numbers option when the number started with "zero" digit.

- Remembering the state of the user interface after exit when there are multiple joined resources and floating panels.

- When the target language is Japanese, CafeTran displays the auto-completion panel at the top of the screen to prevent overlapping with the system auto-completion.

Please repeat the last update procedure described at the start of this threat.

Igor

Thanks for that. Had a very nice run under a beautiful evening sun. During that I had some ideas for the PDF viewer. Will create a nice wiki article describing my idea and just tag it as request :). Don't think that you are ready. Ever.

Igor,

Shouldn't the description mention:

- In SDLPPX and SDLXLIFF files the content of tags is now displayed in the Grid. Please finish your SDL projects before applying the update.

?

Cheers,

Hans

Here are some pictures:

I'm not sure about the label of the third icon (button) in the Target segment pane: it's the same as the tooltip of the second one. Perhaps something like Add & Next or Next & Add or ... In Studio it's something like Get and ... They emphasise the aspect that the translation of the next segment can come from the TM, whereas Add emphasises the current segment being sent to the TM before proceeding. Different views on the world.

>- In SDLPPX and SDLXLIFF files the content of tags is now displayed in the Grid. Please finish your SDL projects before applying the update.

Translated with a previous build and now loaded with the newest:

Note that the red text at the target side isn't complete. And indeed, in the Target segment pane there are tags missing.

You have to adjust them, then the Grid will look like this:

So by all means: finish your SDL project before updating CafeTran.

And let's not forget: this is a great improvement!!!

(Note to self: never use three exclamation marks to make up for bad style!!!)

How about Add & Go or Add & Go Next?

Just updated my iMac to Harbinger from December 13:

Hi guys,

The harbinger of CafeTran Espresso 2016 version is updated today (build 2015121801). The main changes are as follows:

1. Multilingual support for glossaries. The language pair is selected based on the current project language pair.

2. More intuitive grid-based display of glossary entries.

3. Search and replace for glossaries. By default, the language of the search is the source one. You can change it via the context menu.

4. Minor interface and terminology changes discussed on the forum and aimed at making CafeTran the intuitive tool.

Please repeat the drag and drop the same file as in the first message of this thread. I will post a separate announcement in "CafeTran News" when the official CafeTran Espresso 2016 is released.

Have a nice weekend!

Igor

Hi Igor,

1. First of all, thanks for improvement about the Japanese auto-completion panel. It's fine now.

2. Problem about F2 list. Some target terms are not shown.

Anything I have to do now additionally?

3. Grid interface of glossary pane.

It's very good that all synonyms are displayed. But horizontal arrangement takes more space than the previous vertical layout. I often use "Notes." For users who also use the "context" and "subject" fields, how would this look. Too wide for joining side-by-side?

Cheers,

2. Your glossary file does not have a header which is created automatically if the glossary is created by CafeTran. That is why CT had a problem in determining the target language. I have just uploaded the fix which should work for bilingual external glossaries without a header, as it used to do before. Nonetheless, I recommend adding a header to your external glossary to describe your columns. Please take a look at a new CT glossary (such as ProjectTerms.txt) as an example. Then, you will have a nice-looking header in the CT interface too.

3. I tried to achieve the most natural and informative arrangement with this new horizontal display. You can also hide whatever columns you wish in Edit > Options > Glossary tab to narrow the display. I might provide an alternative vertical display in the future.

Thank you so much Igor.

Will look into that matter asap.

>> Adding a header to your external glossary to describe your columns

Makes sense for a multilingual glossary to work. The system needs to know what this is, what that is ...

Thanks anyway,

Good weekend to you!

Peace,
Masato

Hello Igor,

I only use 2 columns in my glossaries right now (maybe more next year). So I've only two fields in my glossaries.

Could you please make it so again that these two columns divide the whole width of the glossary pane together? Now a lot of valuable space is wasted:

I replaced Filteranlage with Filtersystem via the Glossary item in the Find dialogue box. The new source term was displayed in the glossary pane.

I then saved the glossary via the menu.

I opened the saved glossary via the context menu, with my editor.

The old source term is still there.

Oops, it turned out that my ProjectTerms only had two columns in the header, but the first entry still contained the original extra columns. Removed them in my editor et voila, life's good again:

But the other issue might require some of your valued attention.

Login to post a comment