CafeTran Espresso 2016 Harbinger

Hi all,

It is my pleasure to announce CafeTran Espresso 2016 Harbinger available for download. The users who purchased the program after 22 April 2015, in the new licensing system, do not have to install it anew. They can update it via a simple drag and drop procedure as follows:

1. Run CafeTran.

2. Download 20151127_update.zip file from here (do not unzip or rename the file after downloading) and place it on your desktop.

Note: On Mac OSX, the Safari web browser may unzip the file automatically after downloading. To prevent this, just use the right-click menu and choose the "Download Linked File" command.

3. Drag and drop the downloaded file into the Project Dashboard and restart the program.

4. Drag and drop the downloaded file into the Project Dashboard and restart the program. Second time!

The step 4 above is only for users who missed the update 10 with the new icon sets.

The update includes the following changes:

1. The new word/characters count in the Statistics function diplaying the speed of translation in CafeTran running session.

2. The new option for subsegment matching called "Subsegment hits threshold" to reduce the display of low-quality subsegment matches. The default value is 3 which ensures the hits below this number are discarded.

3. The machine translation panes get two new buttons to let the user transfer the MT translation to the target segment and repeat the query with the selected fragment in a more intuitive way.

4. Localized formating of numbers can also take place when the numbers are inside parenthesis.

5. The fix in the typing of accented characters in Portuguese on Mac OS X.

As we approach the year 2016, I think it makes sense to change the name to CafeTran Espresso 2016 Harbinger. This 2016 version of CafeTran is also the summary of all the improvements, changes and fixes made this year.

Have a nice weekend!

Igor

You bet! I was here long before newbies came in.

BTW2:

I'm sowas von delighted about the AA performance of CT. Such a timesaver.

>I'm sowas von delighted about the AA performance of CT. Such a timesaver.

Du(h), I cannot live in a CAT tool that doesn't offer AA. One of the strangest conversations ever I had with Paul Filkin from SDL, at the BDU Congress in Berlin, last year. I asked him why Studio didn't have AA. He was honestly puzzled and asked me what would be the use of that. I also noticed during my trainings hat many colleagues don't use AA: à chacun son goût.

The problem with the automatic dragging in the grid was that the whole text got copied to the target segment pane when the user selected it across segments/cells. This caused some confusion. Now, I figured out how to limit the selected text to one cell/segment. So please perform the same Harbinger update again to have the previous dragging behavior back.

Igor 

>So please perform the same Harbinger update again to have the previous dragging behavior back.

Thank you Igor for being so responsive!

Seconded!

Interesting! The Statistics tab (see my image above; well, not an image of mine but one that I posted) stays open between projects. I think that's great. Sorry, I mean: cool.

Must test wether it will stay floating and positioned on the second screen, between sessions.

Welcome back, auto-dragging.

Thanks, Igor

Hans L. reported the issue with the locked segments in SDLXLIFF files (https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/6000022561?page=1). It should be fixed now.

Wolfgang drew my attention to the subsegment matching during auto-assembling at CafeTranslators forum. His auto-assembling examples included several segments where their context was similar. In such a homogeneous context for subsegments in small translation memories, CafeTran may pick up a few candidates for correct target subsegments but very limited context across the segments does not let it find the most accurate pick. It may need some additional guidance to choose one BEST candidate for auto-assembling. I slightly modified the auto-assembling algorithm to better "discern" patterns in homogeneous contexts.

CafeTran Espresso 2016 Harbinger is updated and all you need to do is to repeat dragging and dropping the same update with this latest developments.

Igor

Thanks Igor. Will install and check later. Now I can claim again that CafeTran can be a replacement for Studio. Which rather sounds like it would be a 'nearly as good as the original', whereas in fact it's much faster, more ergonomic, reactive and all this while using simple, human-readable resources (tab-delimited glossaries!). 

Message read, Herbinger of today installed.

On reopening the project and on clicking on Next I get a pretranslation error warning: string index out of range: -1 twice (I presume for the two TMs connected). Can I go on working safely?

Can you repeat the update process? It is corrected now. :)

Igor

Ok, warning has gone.

Thanks - I've installed Harbinger now. FYI, for native English speakers, the word 'harbinger' is nearly always followed by 'of doom.' :D I took the plunge anyway!

And - I would find it extremely useful to have a command to display all TM units from the right click menu (when I'm reviewing TMs at the bottom of the work pane), rather than going into the dropdown system for this. Let me know if you would prefer me to raise a ticket for this for tracking purposes.

Thanks as ever,

Jane

Hi Jane,

Doom for other felines. ;-)). 

Look out for the next update with the requested feature.

"Are there any harbingers of spring?" Sounds cheerful to a non-native speaker :)

Igor

1 person likes this
Login to post a comment