CafeTran Espresso 2016 Harbinger

Hi all,

It is my pleasure to announce CafeTran Espresso 2016 Harbinger available for download. The users who purchased the program after 22 April 2015, in the new licensing system, do not have to install it anew. They can update it via a simple drag and drop procedure as follows:

1. Run CafeTran.

2. Download 20151127_update.zip file from here (do not unzip or rename the file after downloading) and place it on your desktop.

Note: On Mac OSX, the Safari web browser may unzip the file automatically after downloading. To prevent this, just use the right-click menu and choose the "Download Linked File" command.

3. Drag and drop the downloaded file into the Project Dashboard and restart the program.

4. Drag and drop the downloaded file into the Project Dashboard and restart the program. Second time!

The step 4 above is only for users who missed the update 10 with the new icon sets.

The update includes the following changes:

1. The new word/characters count in the Statistics function diplaying the speed of translation in CafeTran running session.

2. The new option for subsegment matching called "Subsegment hits threshold" to reduce the display of low-quality subsegment matches. The default value is 3 which ensures the hits below this number are discarded.

3. The machine translation panes get two new buttons to let the user transfer the MT translation to the target segment and repeat the query with the selected fragment in a more intuitive way.

4. Localized formating of numbers can also take place when the numbers are inside parenthesis.

5. The fix in the typing of accented characters in Portuguese on Mac OS X.

As we approach the year 2016, I think it makes sense to change the name to CafeTran Espresso 2016 Harbinger. This 2016 version of CafeTran is also the summary of all the improvements, changes and fixes made this year.

Have a nice weekend!

Igor

Why Harbinger?

Installed Harbinger. Before, when selecting text inside project segments it was copied into Target Segment, now it is not. Bug or feature? Or can it be set on and off? 

I think it's a Champagne brand, like Bissinger, end of year ambiance.

>New "Automatic update of project statistics" option (see the menu Project > Statistics > Automatic update of project statistics). After turning this option on, you should also notice the second progress bar which displays the actual character-based progress in your translation.

New option, I guess it's there to prevent bogus Hits in the tabbed pane?

Not sure whether this is new:

Selection of a string of characters on the Grid does not automatically paste it onto the target segment. Instead, a drag-and-drop operation is needed.

Is this intended or a bug in my environment, or any setting required?

M,

> Why Harbinger?

Well, we still have 2015 so Harbinger sounds like a good name before we reach 2016.

Igor

Ok I got it now, no Champagne, Hans, but Vorbote, Herold, der einiges für 2016 erwarten lässt, hopefully.

> Selection of a string of characters on the Grid does not automatically paste it onto the target segment. Instead, a drag-and-drop operation is needed.

I noticed the the new users are sometimes confused by this automatic action in the grid. Instead, please hold the CTRL key during the selection there, to transfer the text automatically.

Igor

New users should conform to old habits! ;-)

But glad it's still there with CTRL key

Pressing Ctrl while dragging over the text is quite complicated with a Touchpad. Or is it just me? I found the old behaviour much nicer and consistent with dragging over other resources. Like the glossary and MT pane. This Ctrl key just adds a new inconsistency.

>Translate selected fragment

Shouldn't that be:

Translate selected source fragment

Translate selected fragment in source

Translate selection of source

Or something like that?

@Hans: With CAT tools get yourself a mouse!

Are you really working with a touchpad only?

But I agree that the old way of dragging was much more comfortable.

Talk about progress...

When I'm on the MacBook Pro I hardly ever need a mouse. Different people, different habits ;). In my office there is this guy who does everything with the stand-alone Magic Pad. I asked him why: he said, I didn't want to accommodate my behaviour on the fact whether a touchpad or a mouse was connected, when switching between computers. So I trained myself to do everything with a pad. He's stubborn in other regards too. And only very young, so: das wird noch was werden mit ihm.

Did you know hat 'him' and 'ihm' are fuzzy matches? Sometimes translating is just shifting a single letter.

BTW, on my Mac it's not CTRL+dragging but CMD+click+CTRL+dragging.
With CTRL only several segments are selected, with CMD only nothing happens.
Only CMD+click+CTRL+dragging works here.

So you'd welcome the old behaviour as an option too? ;)

Login to post a comment