Start a new topic

Create tmx glossary from 3 column Excel file

Hi

client gave me this Excel file with 3 columns (EN-DE)

1st column: Abbreviation: (EAT)

2nd column: Meaning: Exhaust After-Treatment

3d column: Translation: Abgasnachbehandlung

How do I create a glossary for CT based on these 3 columns?

TIA

Wolfgang

This would be an EN>DE project? In Excel insert a column between the first two. Type a semicolon in B1. Drag it down to B345 (last line). Copy the four columns to text wrangler. Replace \t;\t with ; save as glossary

Hi Hans

thank you so much. Will try that asap.

Thanks again, Hans, worked like a charm!

As you would expect, I'd turn the Excel file into a TMX file for terms.

Abbreviations usually occur after the term in parentheses, or before the term with the term in parentheses.

• I'd first remove the parentheses in the first column. Parentheses are not in the default "do not match' list, so EAT in the text won't be recognised if it's (EAT) in the glossary. If you disagree, you should make two columns for the abbreviations, with and without parentheses. Won't cost you a penny extra.
  • The same for the translation, with parentheses and without
  • If you use a tab del glossary and the Automatic workflow, "Exhaust After-Treatment" will only trigger hits for "Exhaust After-Treatment", not for "Exhaust" or "After-Treatment". A TMX termbase will.

So I think you should create four termbases:

1. (abbr.) - translation
  2. abbr. - translation
  3. term SL - translation
  4. term SL - (translation)

and merge them.

H.

Hi Woorden
this is surely food for experimenting. So far I followed Hans' advice and created a tab del glossary so that for EAT I get:
EAT Exhaust After-Treatment <TAB> Abgasnachbehandlung
and
EAT Exhaust After-Treatment system <TAB> Abgasnachbehandlungssystem

No parentheses involved.
As this glossary is intended solely for abbreviations, I think I can live with that.
Experience will show if it's OK or needs to be amended.

But I have to agree on the TMX format so when I'm done with this huge project, I will create these two termbases you suggested.

Thanks
Wolfgang

Wolfgang: As this glossary is intended solely for abbreviations

Next time, please provide essential information. Anyway, since this Excel file is probably useful for other jobs as well, I'd still turn it into a termbase as I mentioned above.

* I nowadays use LibreOffice rather than Excel.

H.

Wolfgang, do you use Auto-Assembling (inserted)? I think that won't work if the source says EAT and the resource (EAT), or the other way around, unless you add the parentheses to the "Do not match" list.

H.

Login to post a comment