Start a new topic

CT with its own launcher/Java: how about that?

http://www.howtogeek.com/210907/minecraft-doesnt-need-java-installed-anymore-its-time-to-remove-it/

1 person likes this idea

Seconded (apart from probable license issues if you want to bundle Oracle Java with your own app).

If I am not mistaken, OmegaT (at least optional) and the (final) Heartsome bundle do the same, although in this case of Minecraft it seems to be a kind of isolated version. This would mean to bundle for any release at least 3 versions and a bare version for all these IT lumberjacks out in the woods that are running FreeBSD or any other "exotic" system. The package would be much bigger (maybe about 100 MB), and this could be a major problem for all those with a weak DSL connection (me included). But it could overcome some of the problems some users (Mac) faced in the past weeks (me not included in this case). 

I've installed it yesterday on our oldest son's MacBook (a white one). When I started this version of Minecraft, a second icon appears in the Dock. I think this is the Java VM that comes with MC. Personally, I don't think this second icon is necessary or even a good idea.

>The package would be much bigger (maybe about 100 MB), and this could be a major problem for all those with a weak DSL connection (me included). 

Only for the first installation.

>But it could overcome some of the problems some users (Mac) faced in the past weeks (me not included in this case). 

That was indeed my reason to post it here: CafeTran with his own Java VM, carefully tested for compatibility. A big advantage would be the total isolation of the VM of the rest of the OS (if I'm not mistaken).

Another advantage: ease of installation (and probably of support too). No longer tweaking of Java versions and folder hopping etc.

To be honest, with such a version of CafeTran, with incorporated Java VM, I'd probably not install Java on my Mac at all.

The long time goal for CafeTran, as far as I'm concerned, would be a Swift version (that can be ported to Windows too, BTW). A native app woud have advantages in terms of Mac-style behaviour (Command+Q, App Nap, energy drain, scriptability, etc.).

>The long time goal for CafeTran, as far as I'm concerned, would be a Swift version (that can be ported to Windows too, BTW).

And this sounds good too!

Login to post a comment