Start a new topic

RTF support: do we need it?

Jane has troubles with processing RTF files that she received from a client (see my posting in the Mac section). It is not clear to me of what kind these files are. Is this RTF an exchange format of mQ server? If so, can the client also provide mqxliff? Igor writes (see previous posting in this forum for source): 1. Open it in Ms Word or LibreOffice. 2. Save it as a .docx file (Word) or .odt file (LibreOffice). 3. Translate the file in CafeTran. 4. After the export, save back as RTF in Word or LibreOffice. // This may well ruin the RTF file of Jane, since for instance certain info is lost that Word cannot interpret. // Does this mean that CT should get the same third-patty RTF conversion module that e.g. Wordfast Pro and mQ use? This would making ct bigger and more expensive. So the answer to that isn't simple and I'm glad that I don't have to decide on this. // How about looking for an alternative workflow, e.g. via an external review table created in mQ? Or even better: get the originating data. Are they xml? Created by an authoring system/cms? Greetings from the former Hauptstadt der DDR!

I know what RTF is ;). I'm asking whether it is used as an exchange format. Regarding the lossless conversion, read the interoperability section in the Wikipedia article on rtf. How can we be sure whether mQ's rtf can be handled lossless in Word? Only by trying, I guess. // There are several different revisions of RTF specification and portability of files will depend on what version of RTF is being used.[7][10] RT

Hans CafeTran Wiki: Is this RTF an exchange format of mQ server?

RTF is rich text format, it's as old as Methuselah, it used to be the project file format for a number of CAT tools, including DV3, and there's no problem converting it to .docx or .odt as Igor described. And like when you convert .doc to .docx, nothing will get lost.

H

Hello Hans,

// This may well ruin the RTF file of Jane, since for instance certain info is lost that Word cannot interpret.

As RTF is a text format with only some additional basic formatting, I think that RTF to Ms Word or LibreOffice conversion is lossless. I have never heard of any issues in this regard.

Igor 

Login to post a comment