The update 8 to CafeTran Espresso 2015 is available for download. The users who purchased the program after 22 April 2015, in the new licensing system, do not have to install it anew. They can update it via a simple drag and drop procedure as follows:
1. Run CafeTran.
2. Download 20151022_update.zip file from here (do not unzip or rename the file after downloading) and place it on your desktop.
Note: On Mac OSX, the Safari web browser may unzip the file automatically after downloading. To prevent this, just use the right-click menu and choose the "Download Linked File" command.
3. Drag and drop the downloaded file into the Project Dashboard and restart the program.
The update includes the following changes:
1. The match bar.
2. Reversed suggestion of fragments/terms in the target segment pane - press Shift key twice and the first letter of the source term in the target segment pane.
3. Transfer current tag (Alt+9 shortcut) work on a selection the same way as mouse tag placement.
4. Hide match colors in the source segment - a new option in Appearance > View > Colors menu.
5. Suppressing soft hyphens tags when importing MS Word documents.
6. Automatic creations of alternative translations during the bilingual import of the reviewed documents to compare the reviewed version and the original version of the segment and to filter out the reviewed changes.
7. Minor interface changes to enable more intuitive location of the most frequently used buttons/actions both for new users and touch screen users.
8. The selection is displayed both in the source and target segment now when you wish to add a selected term to the glossary or memory.
I hope you will find the match bar a unique and innovative concept which should speed up significantly the selection of matched terms and fragments. Comments are welcomed!
Thanks and enjoy!
@Igor: It does have something to do with the SHIFT key (both ˜ and ˆ involve the shift key), but I'm definitely not pressing it twice. I guess I forgot to say I use "U.S. International - PC" as the keyboard input source. If I use the "U.S." layout (where I have to use the option key to get the accent) the problem doesn't happen. And I did not have this problem last night, before installing the update.
PS: it might be related to Autohotkey script/shortcut interference of some kind. Will keep my eye on it.
@Igor: I think I've detected a bug, or unwanted effect, related to the new double-shift feature, but haven't nailed it down yet. Basically, the feature is sometimes getting triggered inadvertently. That is, I am definitely not pressing shift twice, and yet the feature is sometimes getting triggered.
Does it involve pressing the SHIFT key twice? Otherwise, I really have not changed anything connected to typing accented characters in this update. Try rebooting the system to see if it helps.
I think I ran into a bug with this update. After installing it, there are some accents that I cannot add to letters by typing the accent followed by the letter (say ˆ, then e). The whole combo just vanishes. If I hold down the letter a menu pops up so I can choose the accented one, but that's very slow. Same thing happens with ˜. I do manage to type "à". I use a Mac with F1, F2, etc used as standard function keys.
BTW: Would it be possible to give these updates / zip files a name relating to CafeTran (I assume you will break it if you do it yourself)? Just for knowing what this file is (some months later) or to find it when copying it to the 2nd machine...
So, Wolfgang, you are more frequently inserting nice curly geschweifte German quotes than you are toggling Käse?
In the context bar, you mean? Not necessarily as the first icon (I prefer "S" I use for German quotes), but I definitely like Uppercase in the context bar.
So you would like to have it positioned as first icon, too, don't you Wolfgang?
Save on mouse meters!
...and thanks Igor for giving us back the UPPERCASE option in the context menu!
>Leaving aside cosmetic changes in CT I can say that this software is the greatest time saver of all times!
Indeed it is, and I have always said that. In different wordings, using qualifications as productivity booster (though Kilgray started using that for his app too, so that the qualification got worn out -- but let me not focus on competitors, there's enough to say about CafeTran). About how it is unique, about how it helps us. Hence the title of my next webinar.
Michael, can you post a couple of screenshots, next time you use this new feature?
Automatic creations of alternative translations during the bilingual import of the reviewed documents to compare the reviewed version and the original version of the segment and to filter out the reviewed changes.
Leaving aside cosmetic changes in CT I can say that this software is the greatest time saver of all times! Once you've got the grips of it (and I'm far from mastering the host of features of CT) translating is even more fun than usual.
Yesterday, after having successfully cycled through various colors for toolbars, all at sudden I could not change the color anymore, no matter which color I chose. No, I have not reset colors to default. This morning everything works as it should... go figure.