The update 8 to CafeTran Espresso 2015 is available for download. The users who purchased the program after 22 April 2015, in the new licensing system, do not have to install it anew. They can update it via a simple drag and drop procedure as follows:
1. Run CafeTran.
2. Download 20151022_update.zip file from here (do not unzip or rename the file after downloading) and place it on your desktop.
Note: On Mac OSX, the Safari web browser may unzip the file automatically after downloading. To prevent this, just use the right-click menu and choose the "Download Linked File" command.
3. Drag and drop the downloaded file into the Project Dashboard and restart the program.
The update includes the following changes:
1. The match bar.
2. Reversed suggestion of fragments/terms in the target segment pane - press Shift key twice and the first letter of the source term in the target segment pane.
3. Transfer current tag (Alt+9 shortcut) work on a selection the same way as mouse tag placement.
4. Hide match colors in the source segment - a new option in Appearance > View > Colors menu.
5. Suppressing soft hyphens tags when importing MS Word documents.
6. Automatic creations of alternative translations during the bilingual import of the reviewed documents to compare the reviewed version and the original version of the segment and to filter out the reviewed changes.
7. Minor interface changes to enable more intuitive location of the most frequently used buttons/actions both for new users and touch screen users.
8. The selection is displayed both in the source and target segment now when you wish to add a selected term to the glossary or memory.
I hope you will find the match bar a unique and innovative concept which should speed up significantly the selection of matched terms and fragments. Comments are welcomed!
Thanks and enjoy!
@Masato: Do you sometimes work on projects without using a translation memory?
I tried to describe it in the changelog, like this:
2015-10-22 #8. Improved selection of terms in source and target segment panes (e.g. prior to adding a selected term pair to your glossary or memory). If you select a piece of text in the source pane, and then its corresponding translation in the target pane, both are highlighted simultaneously and remain highlighted.
Previously, when you selected e.g. a piece of text in the src, and then selected a piece of text in the trgt pane, the second you started selecting the trgt text, the highlighting in the src would disappear. This is no longer the case, as the highlighting in both src and trgt sides stays ... highlighted. At least until you do something else.
@Igor: would it be difficult to also make this work when making the selections by keyboard (via Ctrl+Shift and the arrow keys), rather than using the mouse? I was assuming that it would work by keyboard too, but just noticed that it doesn't :-(
"4. Hide match colors in the source segment - a new option in Appearance > View > Colors menu."**
This worked three or four times for me, after that, I'm stuck with default colors. And, yes, I do close and restart the program every time but nothing changes it's default and nothing else. ;-) Too bad because I had such a nice color config before.
**P.S.: Shouldn't it read View > Appearance > Colors ?
Do you mean you cannot set a color now? You may have reset the colors to default, by mistake?
Yesterday, after having successfully cycled through various colors for toolbars, all at sudden I could not change the color anymore, no matter which color I chose. No, I have not reset colors to default. This morning everything works as it should... go figure.
Leaving aside cosmetic changes in CT I can say that this software is the greatest time saver of all times! Once you've got the grips of it (and I'm far from mastering the host of features of CT) translating is even more fun than usual.
Michael, can you post a couple of screenshots, next time you use this new feature?
Automatic creations of alternative translations during the bilingual import of the reviewed documents to compare the reviewed version and the original version of the segment and to filter out the reviewed changes.
>Leaving aside cosmetic changes in CT I can say that this software is the greatest time saver of all times!
Indeed it is, and I have always said that. In different wordings, using qualifications as productivity booster (though Kilgray started using that for his app too, so that the qualification got worn out -- but let me not focus on competitors, there's enough to say about CafeTran). About how it is unique, about how it helps us. Hence the title of my next webinar.
...and thanks Igor for giving us back the UPPERCASE option in the context menu!
So you would like to have it positioned as first icon, too, don't you Wolfgang?
Save on mouse meters!