Start a new topic

Battery drain & CPU usage.

Hello,

I'm experiencing an issue with Cafetran's resource use. I'm using a 2014 Retina Macbook Pro with i5 2,6 GHz, 8 GB of RAM and a solid state drive running the final build of El Capitan 10.11. The laptop is still pretty new and maintains a stable 8-9 hour battery life (~120 load cycles) while using Safari, MS Office and other simple, everyday tools.

However, using Cafetran decreases the battery life to approximately 2,5 - 3 hours, the fan fires up to more than 3,000 rpm (idle value = ~1,300), also the temperatures rise considerably. I've already tried changing the autosave setting value for glossaries, projects and memories to 10.
At the moment I'm using a single TMX memory consisting of little less than 12,000 entries and a couple of glossaries with several hundred terms.

I'm using the full version of Cafetran, revision 2015101301 released today and I have the newest java 8 installed.

The above happens regardless of the translated file's size. It makes no difference if the document contains five thousand characters or a hundred thousand.

I'm attaching a screenshot of the Activity Monitor's energy tab, with the second and third columns being Energy Impact and Average Energy Impact. That's after ten minutes of working in Cafetran. CPU Usage stays between 15 and 20%.

I had the same issue with older revisions of Cafetran on my old 2010 Macbook white running Mavericks and, later on, Yosemite. However, it wasn't that much of an issue since that laptop wouldn't last more than two hours on a single charge anyway.

As my hardware finally allows to spend more than a couple of hours away from the wall socket, it would be great to take advantage of it.

I would be very grateful for any help on this matter.

...or is it supposed to be like that?

png

Hi Piotrek,

As for the beachball at the startup issue, please update CafeTran to the latest version as described here:

https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/discussions/topics/6000021232

and report it either in the Report a problem section or via the support ticket if it ever occurs again.

Igor

>What I have also experienced in the last couple of weeks is that – occasionally – CafeTran becomes corrupted and does not load.

I had that when I upgraded CafeTran from Java 6 to Java 8, about a year ago. I then made a fresh install and reconfigured all settings manually. 

Hi Hans,

thank you for your effort!

These are my stats:

That's when actively using CafeTran and adding segments to project memory. When CafeTran is sitting in the background and I'm not using it, the temps fall down to:

after a couple of minutes, which is a perfectly acceptable value in itself, and go down to almost idle values (~50C/1300 rpm) after ten minutes.

CPU Usage:

Energy consumption:

What I have also experienced in the last couple of weeks is that – occasionally – CafeTran becomes corrupted and does not load. All I get is a blank screen, beachball and the information that CT does not respond. The only option is to reset all CT settings via a launcher Igor provided for someone over at the Google Group. I haven't managed to replicate this particular issue, but it did happen at least three or four times in the past two-theee weeks.

After posting the previous message, I clicked the battery icon in the menu bar again: 3:36 remaining (it had went down to 2:06 first). So I guess there is some calibrating going on, for the new battery. Ah, 3:46 now.

I did some testing with my MacBook Pro. I received a new battery, together with the replaced top case. The battery only has 2 loading cycles. I guess that's the reason why I only have 3 hours remaining battery life, after disconnecting it from the power plug. Something to keep an eye on, in the next weeks. I imported 3 bogus Word documents (each about 6 pages) that I found on the internet. I populated all targets and performed some replacement actions. Then I committed the project to the TM, emptied the target segments in the project and navigated through the segments by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Down. Then I repeated this process a couple of times (replacing with different letters, committing to TM etc.). I got this:

Is that the CPU temperature? If so, mine becomes 'hot' too. But the fan runs at a lower speed.

And this:

Does this info help you?

BTW: I'm running CafeTran with factory settings on this MacBook Pro.

>I give up, Piotrek. I don't have that problem, because I don't have a MacBook.

Don't fret! Your help is much appreciated, nonetheless!. :-)

>Did you do a clean install of El Capitan?

The current installation is about 2 or 3 weeks old I don't think that is the problem. I do care about, let's name it, "software hygiene".

>Piotr, What tool do you use to measure fan speed and CPU and probably GPU temp?

I'm using smcFanControl v. 2.5.2.

The only thing that changed in the past couple of days is me updating CT to rev. 9 and Java 8 to rev. 65 yesterday.

Hans CafeTran Wiki: Eventually a systematic approach could make a clean install necessary.

Nope. BS. If the only complaint is the temperature when running CT, nope. If there are a thousand other problems, probably also nope. Nope.

H.

Piotr, What tool do you use to measure fan speed and CPU and probably GPU temp?
Let me check on my mbp first. It has been some time since I used it for real work. Eventually a systematic approach could make a clean install necessary. Luckily this can be tested via an external drive.

Hans CafeTran Wiki: Did you do a clean install of El Capitan?

Piotrek, don't waste your time. There's no need for a "clean install" on a Mac. Never. Well, unless you have numerous other complaints, and even that is doubtful. And most certainly not on a 2014 rMBP.

H.

I'll do some tests on Sunday and try if I can replicate your findings. Did you do a clean install of El Capitan?

I give up, Piotrek. I don't have that problem, because I don't have a MacBook.

I can't think of anything else. Sorry!

H.

Thanks for your answer!

>Check your RAM usage in the Activity monitor. If it's more than the 2 GB default (quite possible), >assigning more RAM to CT may help for the reason Hans CafeTran Wiki mentioned.

CafeTran stays at ~1 GB, often even less. 

>You can lower the default, or you can "pretranslate" the Recall memory, import it, and "delete" the >Recall TM.

I've been doing precisely that – no change.

I opened a small project after changing java memory to 4 gigs – and lost 10% of battery charge in 15 minutes (i.e. business as usual) The CPU temp rises to 75C and the fan starts spinning at as much as 4000 rpm as soon as I translate a couple of segments and add them to the Project TM.

piotrek: How can I check it?

Check your RAM usage in the Activity monitor. If it's more than the 2 GB default (quite possible), assigning more RAM to CT may help for the reason Hans CafeTran Wiki mentioned.

In the menu, Edit | Options | Memory, and check the Java memory. You may want to perform an extra check in the .plist (Open CT package, Contents, Info.plist.I think the default is 2 GB (2000 MB, it probably says). You may want to increase that to at least 4 GB. You may want to perform an extra check in the .plist. Open CT package, Contents, Info.plist, at the end of the list. My settings:

<string>-Xms1024m</string>

<string>-Xmx8192m</string>

piotrek: that a smaller, recalled memory...

That Recall memory may actually become pretty large. For every word in your source document (minus stopwords, I think), Recall can generate up to 100 segments if you use the default settings. You can lower the default, or you can "pretranslate" the Recall memory, import it, and "delete" the Recall TM.

H.

>Perhaps it's a RAM issue? Too much swapping to SSD? Hardly likely?

I don't have a clue. How can I check it?

I even switched to Total Recall thinking that a smaller, recalled memory might lessen the CPU load. No luck there. I still get 3 hours on battery. 

Login to post a comment