You may want to create one glossary for a particular type of project or document from all your glossaries.
Translators typically use more than one glossary. But, for a particular project, you may not need all entries of all those glossaries. You use some from this one, some from that one ...
Or you may not want to keep many glossaries open to make the interface simple.
If so, convert those glossaries into TMX files (Go to Memory > Import). If your glossaries have synonyms on either or both sides, be sure to unbundle them in advance (see CafeTran Wiki for source-side splitting).
Then, pretranslate the document with these TMX files.
Convert the exported pretranslation.tmx into text file (Go to "Memory > Save as" and save it as .txt).
I am wondering whether I can use this topic to ask my question. I think this method may be one of the solutions for my question below, but I could not do this actually on the Cafetran while this method should theoretically work:)
When I translate one document, for example, 'we' is frequently translated as 'wareware wa' (Japanese), but I want to use 'watashitachi wa'. Then, I input this combination into a glossary by use of Alt + G. Then, this combination can be found in a glossary tab. I select this tab, and Memory - Import - Import glossary, then, I tried Memory - Save all memories, and also, Memory - Save memories. However, translation of 'we' is still 'wareware wa'.
I appreciate any advice to solve this problem.
Example (English as the target language)
Note that this feature is now automatic. Make sure "Automatic Fragments Adjustment" is checked (Preferences > Auto-assembling).
Thank you Masato for your reply.
I am not sure why, but I could not do both of your methods.
1. When the tab is right clicked, options displayed are: Doc tab to....(six ways), Vertical docking divider, Join tabs, Disjoin tabs and so on, and I could not find an option to modify the priority.
2. When I set Japanese as the target language, the icon bar appear, which is similar to your figure attached, I mean the top section, but any alternative Japanese translation is displayed.
I am wondering this function works differently when the target language is Japanese.
I appreciate further replies.
Then, you can choose the high priority.
It's working like a charm in my environment even when the target language is Japanese.
If nothing shows up, please change your selection (selected word/phrase) to see what happens. If CafeTran still shows nothing on this panel, it should mean no alternative translation available for that particular selection.
Thank you Masato, I will try these after tomorrow and get back to you.
I want to report something about the situation on my CafeTran with anticipation to be able to get more specific advice for my conditions.
I 'import'ed some specific combinations of English and Japanese words including 'we' and 'watashitachi wa'.
In the Matchboard window, the translation is not changed, 'we' is usually translated to 'wareware wa', but in the same window, there are other displays:
(1) A mixture of English and specific Japanese words. These Japanese words are ones I added to 'memory' from Excel file. English texts are with red background, and these Japanese letters are with green background. Only English words included in the imported Excel file are changed to Japanese words, but these Japanese are not reflected in the machine translation in the Matchbox window, which can be transferred by 'Alt + H'.
(2) Table of English and Japanese for the words Japanese is displayed above.
Alternative word list is not displayed on my CafeTran as Masato shows. Only the tool bar is displayed as I have informed you before.
Thank you for your reply in advance.
Thanks for your prompt reply. Ok, I attach one screenshot.
I suppose my CafeTran recognise 'we' as 'watashitachi wa' as shown in letters with green background, however, the main translation above does not reflect this.
Thanks for your reply in advance.
The Excel file includes
In the screenshot, I suppose, some function of PC, CafeTran or TM seems to extract the reading of the Chinese character 私 and indicate it as ワタシ.
I think what I want to do at the moment may be an easy thing. I want to attribute a particular Japanese translation word to a particular English word.
What I am doing at the moment is:
(1) Make an Excel file of the combinations. Like 'we 私たちは'
(2) Import this Excel file into 'memory' with 'High priority' condition. The default seems to be 'Medium priority' and I set 'High priority' by hand every time. I also sometimes try to leave this setting as 'Medium priority'.
However, 'import of memory' does not seem to be successful, I mean, translations of specific words in the glossary do not changed by this method.
I am afraid that I am doing a wrong method.