Start a new topic

Does the Reload glossary shortcut reload all open glossaries?

Hi Igor,

Does the Reload glossary shortcut reload all open glossaries?

Michael

I would say no as I'm struggling to find a way to reload my Dutch regex glossary after adding entries, but so far nothing (not clicking refresh, not closing and reopening CT) has done the job.

If someone knows a solution, I'd appreciate hearing it.

Thanks,

Will

Hi Will

The Glossary > Reload Glossary menu command reloads the currently-selected glossary in the tab. If you wish to reload a docked, joined or floated glossary, right-click at the glossary pane and choose the "Reload glossary "command.

Please note that the latest CafeTran version supports multilingual glossaries. That's why glossaries created in the previous version need to have the language-code header to let CT recognize correctly the source and target language columns. Please see an example of the header here.

Igor

Hi Igor,

I always do the right-click and refresh/reload thing for each glossary (in this case, it's a regex glossary that has each entry line preceded with a pipe | ).

I've now added the following line to the very beginning of my regex glossary:

#de-DE #en-GB

But neither doing this nor a right-click refresh has reloaded the glossary. :(

Thanks,

Will

To help clarify things, this is a new glossary I set up earlier today. I don't have a language code entry at the beginning of any of my other glossaries and they work fine.

Please find attached my glossary.

txt
(1.17 KB)

Hi Will,

I spotted the regular expression error in your glossary. See the following .?* regular expressions which should have the correct .*? order. The regular expressions are very useful but you need to be careful with them because even the slightest change have break the matching. This makes me think of a feature to catch such errors and point them out to the users automatically.

BTW, there is no need to reload the glossary after you add the new entry.

Hi Igor,

Oh, boy. You can't trust me with anything.

I wonder what the emoticon is for kicking oneself in the ass? :)

My apologies for having wasted your time.

All the best,

Will

Hi Will,

Great it works now! No need to kick yourself. You have no idea how many times I was about to kick everything around over finding the right regular expression. Fresh air, jogging, googling and focus recommended before. :)

1 person likes this

IK: No need to kick yourself.

Why not? He deserves it. Anyway, I tried, and even at my advanced age, I can kick myself in the arse. But not to the point it hurts. So it's useless, unless you like it that way. I don't.

You have no idea how many times I was about to kick everything around over finding the right regular expression.

Now that's you. Not us, mere mortals. I think that using regexes in CT shouldn't be encouraged, and I don't think that you shouldn't worry about "This makes me think of a feature to catch such errors and point them out to the users automatically". It's not your responsibility, and it's a waste of time, time you can spend to expand your KB.

H.

cafetran.training: Also very beneficial for getting new ideas. For new features.

Try the existing features first. You may learn something from them.

H.

>This makes me think of a feature to catch such errors and point them out to the users automatically

As always: a splendid idea, Igor, to investigate the potential use of a technique and possibly implement it as a new feature.

I agree with you on the fact that this is the only way to further improve anything.

Regarding a means to facilitate the insertion of regular expressions in glossaries: in the past I've already launched the idea to add some buttons to the New term dialogue box, for this purpose.

Numbers come to mind. User selects two strings, clicks 'Replace numbers with regular expressions' et voila.

Another useful application would be the replacement of brand names and company names by a generic string, though this is also scratching the surface of sentence patterns. User selects name in either source or target and clicks 'Generalise name':

die nicht ausdrücklich mit der Fa. Grautot abgestimmt wurden

die niet uitdrukkelijk zijn overeengekomen met de fa. Grautot

(User selects Grautot, clicks button)

Login to post a comment