Start a new topic

Press Shift key to change auto-complete language from target to source?

When you're typing in the target pane, CTs, auto-complete function auto completes stuff based on the target-language letters that you type. This is great, but it can be improved. 

It would be cool if this was kept the same, but if you pressed a specific key (e.g. the shift key) while typing, the auto-complete system would instead trigger matches based on the source-language letters you type.

For example, my current source segment contains the Dutch word ‘koelmiddelcircuit’, which I have in my Dutch-English glossary as ‘refrigerant circuit’. To make ‘refrigerant circuit’ appear when translating, I need to type the letter ‘r’. However, if I forgot that the translation is indeed ‘refrigerant circuit’, I wouldn’t know that I need to type an ‘r’ to trigger auto-complete. 

This is where this handy feature comes in: 

with my left hand, I hold down the shift key, and then look up at the source pane where I see the word ‘koelmiddelcircuit’, so (while still holding down the shift key with my left hand) I type the Dutch letter ‘k’ with my right hand, which now triggers auto complete…

Intelligent editing indeed!

Full disclosure: I stole this idea from Wordfast Classic :-)

1 person likes this idea

Nice idea, but obviously Shift is not a good KBS for this.

It sounds like the Trados AutoSuggest problem with apparently a WfC solution you'd rarely need if you use AA in CT. If you have your settings right, of course.

@Hans: Yeah, you're probably right about the Shift key, but basically any KBS will do, which we could then change as we see fit.

@woorden: Sorry, but until you show us an actual video of AA working as well as you keep saying it does, I will have to forgo believing you. Also, AA is irrelevant here: I think the feature would be very useful irrespectively.

MB: AA is irrelevant here

It is not. It's highly relevant. AA will show you the most likely target candidate in your resources, in this case refrigerant circuit which is in your glossary, and insert it. What's more, it'll also be useful when dictating. And if the word order is wrong, simply delete the AA results after finishing the segment.

@woorden: I don't want AA to guess which of the various options I want (i.e., which is the most likely target candidate); I want to be able to look at the list myself and choose one.

What I am interested in is more of a quicker way to get to the results of what you see when pressing F2, but triggered by typing the first letter of the source term.

@Hans: I think the Escape key might work as a KBS.

MB: I don't want AA to guess which of the various options I want (i.e., which is the most likely target candidate); I want to be able to look at the list myself and choose one.

In other words, you want to see the results the tabbed pane(s) already show(s) you... Which you seem to have visible at all times anyway.

Hans, I have 800,000 entries in my main glossary, so only a fraction of it is ever shown in any visible resource pane. 

I want to be able to quickly jump to the matches for a specific source word by pressing its first letter.

I use F2 all the time, and it is very useful. If my idea were implemented, it would be even quicker and more intuitive to get to the relevant F2 results. The more ways there are to quickly and easily do something in CT the better. For me, an optimal workflow consists of fluidly juggling a multitude of ways of accessing the same things: voice, F2, F1, typing letters, the AA panel, looking at the resource panes, etc.  

Love this idea!

MB: I have 800,000 entries in my main glossary, so only a fraction of it is ever shown in any visible resource pane.

Yes, this must be very confusing.

On the other hand, the tabbed pane will only show you words and phrases that occur in the source pane, limited to your project properties if you've set them.

Thanks for the support Kwang!

@Igor: Do you think this would be a good idea too? It would definitely save me a hell of a lot of mousing and clicking in my current job. 

In the job I am working on, I keep clicking F2, and then navigating to the relevant letter in the results list. With this feature (in some form) I could get to the relevant results faster.

As I imagine it, it could be implemented in two ways:

(1) One way would involve switching the auto-complete language from target to source. That is, via e.g. a KBS you change the current auto-complete system.

(2) A second way would involve jumping straight to the results in the F2 list, by pressing the first letter of of a word in the source pane.

MB: I have 800,000 entries in my main glossary

Let's look at this in perspective. I know there's a difference between a glossary and a dictionary. But.

Your glossary is Dutch-English, the entries are counted by the occurrence of the Dutch entries. The professional Dutch dictionary, the dikke Van Dale ("Fatso van Dale"), has 250,000 entries, less than a third of your glossary. The largest dictionary in the world (yes), the Woordenboek der Nederlandsche Taal, took more than 100 years to complete, counts 43 volumes, and boasts 350,000-400,000 entries. Less than half of the entries in your glossary.

Even if you'll get it your way (and have little doubt you will, if I consider the recent past*), the resulting hits will be confusing, time-consuming, and useless.

*More "historical statistic data": CafeTran is a nice app with a small footprint. However, the 2015 version is more than twice as big as the 2012 version, and 4 times bigger than the 2010 build. But bigger is always better...

@Mr Woorden: I will answer your pointless points tomorrow. It’s sleepy time in Beijerland.

If you type the first letter of your source language word, you'd get on average 800,000:26≈30,000 hits for your Big One alone. I think you'll agree that that's not particularly useful. Fortunately, that's not what you want. You don't want the SL words, you want the TL words by typing a SL letter. That makes things a lot easier. For you. But not for Igor.

Auto-complete is based on:

• Words that you type in the target box
  • Words in your User.dic, your personal list of words with unknown spelling
  • Words in your Translation Memory
  • Words in the target segments of your translation project
  • Words at the target side of your glossary
                                                          (copied from the Wiki)

So "all" you want is not a simple hotkey to shift from TL to SL, you want Igor to implement the Auto-Completion algorithms for the TL for the SL as well, and connect the two so typing a letter in the SL triggers a multitude of hits in the TL in case you don't know what you are doing, which is always.

Auto-Assembly forever.

Login to post a comment