Start a new topic

Does CafeTran need a confirmation to overwrite a file?

As far as I see it does not have one (at least not on Mac OS X).

There are 3 PROs

- users get reassured that a new file has been generated, without being obliged to have a further look at the timestamp

- users are used to it respectively it is common system behavior – AFAIK in any system (although the argument „newbies could get irritated“ should not become a self-purpose)

- the 0.01% of the cases where you would have been glad to have it, e.g. you made a lot of layout corrections in the exported final file, did a minor correction inside the text, insert this correction into CT to have it reflected in the TM and export the doc again – only by mistake … Or you overwrite by accident any translation memory you should not have overwritten (because you still do not have any back-up and so on)...

and there is one essential CON:

- In 99.99% of the cases you will not need it ... it might happen only once i a year or so (but then as a kind of disaster)

What do you think?

1 person likes this idea

Related idea (which several of us have asked for many times in the past) is an improved UNDO FUNCTION, like in Word, where you have a list of previous operations, all undoable. XYplorer, e.g., has an amazing undo feature, with a very clear list, all items undoable, etc.

I use a (more or less) continuous backup program, so I can usually roll back to a previous version, but it doesn't always save right before I do something stupid.

Torsten: Does CafeTran need a confirmation to overwrite a file?

Use DropBox. It saves versions, even in the free version (for one month, I think). In my case, CT auto-saves every two segments.

H.

Sure, Dropbox (or preferred ownCloud) is a solution for this, assuming that:

• you have a very fast internet connection
  • and even then your xlf file should not be too big
Depending on the backup intervals any backup solution works fine (as far as I know Office 2016 supports the versioning of Mac OS X.

But I actually do not have any problem, this was a general question. The confirmation dialogue for overwriting a file is a standard for nearly all systems (or at least it is perceived by many users as such). I also see clearly the advantages of the "silent" overwriting process.

@Michael: Yes, a powerful undo-command would be fine, seconded.

Torsten: you have a very fast internet connection

The Internet connection is almost always fast enough, unless you work too fast...

Torsten: and even then your xlf file should not be too big

As that Michael once explained, DropBox only performs updates based on bit comparison. It therefore doesn't matter how big your xlf file is.

Torsten: Depending on the backup intervals any backup solution works fine (as far as I know Office 2016 supports the versioning of Mac OS X.

But CT doesn't. So you need something like DropBox. Time Machine is fine, but it's OS X only, and the default back-up period is an hour, and after a day, it become a day. And after a week, etc.

Torsten: Yes, a powerful undo-command would be fine, seconded.

Why am I not surprised? Anyway, we've been there before, and it's not easy to program (says the guy who does the actual programming). So you'll have to think, and find other solutions.

H.

you have a very fast internet connection

It always depends on the perspective. I have 400 Mbit/s. Compared to a guy who only has ISDN (and some of my neighbors only have ISDN speed) this is lightning fast. For any person in the so-called Third World this might also be fast, at least in the countryside, I do not know. I have a LTE connection in petto (with my phone, with a rather mediocre coverage), but with only 3 GB per month (this is Germany, I heard these contingents in other countries are much bigger and/or much cheaper) any OS X or iPhone update can become a logistic challenge (with several devices in this household).

The thing with the bit comparison is new to me, okay, touché.

Concerning your last point – sorry, nobody wants to overwhelm anybody with too many requests or wishes (and I did not know that "we" have been there before). Not only in the last instance it is your decision what to pick up and what not.

Login to post a comment