Start a new topic

Why no official manual?

A very simple, maybe silly, question.

Why there is not an official manual for CT?

Masato

1 person likes this idea

I do not think it is a silly question at all. It will made things easier for a lot of people especially newbies !

Hello guys,

>Why there is not an official manual for CT?

There's a really simple answer to that:

Because such a manual is an extremely big financial investment. I think that it will take a pro about one year to write the manual. So, the investment would be a year's salary of a very good technical writer.

The only solution (that I see) for the time being would be a more active pro bono participation of users.

Cheers,

Hans

For me, CafeTran Wiki is a good manual.

I know I'm weird, but I skimmed almost every wiki's page before deciding to buy CT...

Kwang

I don't know about a year's salary of a technical writer (actually I don't think it's a one year work) but a lot of commercial software have manuals. I believe that the lack of a manual makes a lot of potential users turning to other software. 

>I don't know about a year's salary of a technical writer (actually I don't think it's a one year work) 

I think it is. Finding out how things work, musing about the best way to explain, making screenshots, reviewing, etc. does cost a lot of time.

>but a lot of commercial software have manuals.

Yes, of course.

>I believe that the lack of a manual makes a lot of potential users turning to other software. 

Also true. But you cannot break any iron with bare hands, as we say in Lowland.

Commercial software = software sold for money. This would seem to qualify.

The lack of a manual for this tool is almost a deal-breaker for me, and I'm familiar with CAT tools, have used them for over 15 years, and am a busy working translator. THEREFORE, I can't afford to mess around trying things and possibly losing my work or being unable to get it out or producing unexpected effects. I can't EVER find the information I need about this program from any source.

At a MINIMUM there should be an explanation of the basic functions. I need to do QA work, but there is nothing available about this on this wiki. Ridiculous. You want to earn money from the program. It shows a great lack of respect for your users to just dismiss this -- especially if you expect more money each year from the same frustrated people. 

>especially if you expect more money each year from the same frustrated people.

Who are these frustrated people and why do they need to pay more each year?

http://cafetran.wikidot.com/performing-qa-checks >> This is about QA. 

I found this by googling 'cafetran wiki qa'...

I was googling 'studio 2014 terminology verifier' too when I wanted to know about the setting of this function. I've never looked at Studio's manual, and I think I know quite well about Studio.

But maybe I'm just a weird buyer. 

Anyway, Igor is starting to put articles on KB. That's a good sign.

Kwang

@Terry: Please be patient. Igor (CT's sole developer) can only do so much in one day. Hans created the wiki, but hasn't had time yet to write more than http://cafetran.wikidot.com/performing-qa-checks (keep in mind that he does this because he's a nice guy; he isn't getting paid anything for all his work on the wiki)

CT has all manner of good QA functions and is easily as good as memoQ/Studio, etc. in this respect.

How about posting, in the knowledge base (Solutions), a list of links to CT Wiki pages organized by topic or for a specific type of user? This can virtually be a user's manual, which does not take much cost or time to create.

For example:

(1) Very essentials of CT (for beginners)

- Creating a project (link to corresponding Wiki page)

- Starting translation (link to ...)

- Loading or creating a glossary (link to ...)

- Explanation of toolbar (link to ...)

- Doing QA (link to ...)

- Creating a translated file (link to ...)

Masato: How about posting, in the knowledge base (Solutions), a list of links to CT Wiki pages organized by topic or for a specific type of user?

Nope. Keep them separated, please. Not please, keep them separated.

And yes. There should be a manual, an official manual. Strange nobody thought of that before.

H.

Okay, Hans vd Broek. I got you.

@Kwang: In the past I've indeed mused over some link collections describing the different steps in the translation project with CafeTran. Kind of tutorial, created by placing existing wiki articles in a logical order.

Thanks for reminding me! I'll see what I can do ;).

Have a great Friday!

When I started using CT, there was no blog, no user support group, no wiki. But there was... The Manual. Ladies and gentlemen, I present the 2010 Handbook:

You may recognise the KB style...

I don't have a 2010 build anymore, but I could still run CT 2012. Here's the 2012 Translation menu for your viewing pleasure:

And this is the current version (stolen from the Wiki):

H.

Masato Ohta:

>  How about posting, in the knowledge base (Solutions), a list of links to CT Wiki pages organized by topic or for a specific type of user?

Take a look at the menu on the right of the wiki home page. Many of the articles (though not all, of course) are organised by topic in it, and users can easily find articles for newbies using the menu.

Login to post a comment