Start a new topic

sdltm displaced

Hello!

I sometimes have a problem with the sdltm memories I receive from a client. I open them in CT, which automatically converts them to tmx, but the segments are displaced, so that I can't use the TM. I've asked the client to look into it, but in Studio they seem to be correct (he has sent me some screenshots). I've already tried to amend the TM in Excel with Heartsome but I gave up after one hour, as it was simply too messy. Do you have an idea why this happens?

Thanks in advance,
Elisabetta

Hi, Elisabetta

"Displaced" means, for example, Source 1 = Target 1 is displayed like Source 1 = Target 2?

Cheers,
Masato

Hello Masato,

yes, something like that, some segments are joined, others are splitted, others have completely disappeared, please see the screenshot. I had to delete some parts, but as you can see the segments don't correspond. The problems lies in CT's conversion of the sdltm to tmx.

Thanks, cheers,
Elisabetta

JPG
(170 KB)
I once saw a similar SDL TM; one TM unit contained more than one sentence. It was created (converted) by my agency from an old Trados TM (I don't know how it is called), and I suspect that there might have been a problem with their segmentation during conversion.

But I don't know if this is true with your case.

So, how about sending the problem SDL TM file to the CT support desk for analysis. I think they can give you some advice.

Peace,

Masato

Hello,

in this case I think the problem might be CT's conversion, I've sent the TM to Igor, thanks for your advice.

Cheers,
Elisabetta

Did you get a reply to this TM getting out of sync issue? Does the TM look all right in Studio? As a side note: Why doesn't Freshdesk save a cookie that I'm logged in at my iPhone?
Hello Hans,

No, but Igor will take a look as soon as he's back from his holiday. Yes, the TM looks all right in Studio and it's not the first time this happens in CT.

Cheers,
Elisabetta

Has this been solved?
Hello Hans,

no, Igor hasn't gotten back to me regarding this yet.

Cheers,
Elisabetta

Hi Elisabetta,

It is on my to-do list. Do you know what Trados version the sdltm file was created with?

Igor

Hi Igor,

no, but I can ask the client tomorrow :-)

Cheers,
Elisabetta

Hi Igor, it's Studio 2014

Cheers,

Elisabetta

Hello Elisabetta,

The misalignment issue seems to occur when one of the segments in the sdltm file is corrupted. Then from that segment on, the misalignment appears. I will see if CT is able to repair or ignore such a segment. For now, please request your client for a TMX file in such cases.

Cheers,

Igor

Yet another example where developers of other CAT tools have to program around shortcomings in SDL products. Just like the invalid XML characters in their SDLXLIFF files.

Login to post a comment