Start a new topic

Best way to share TMs/glossaries while working with other translators?

Hi again!

Thank you in advance for your time in reading my question and for your help. 

I would like to figure out which would be the best way to establish an efficient workflow in my company department:

We have to share projects of long technical translations. The texts consist on paragraphs which contains pure technical product descriptions, in occasions with no even commas inserted  **** Please allow me a big question mark here I have>>> here is where I mix concepts as TMs and glossary seem to merge in my mind for these specific type of texts, as I understand the glossary as a memory of terms  (if you can shed some light in this regard I would appreciate it). ****

Now, I would like to know which options I have for sharing and make efficient updates of the glossaries/TMs. 

So far, I figure out I have the following three options: 

1) Share an initial glossary and once we have finished our work at the end of the day then merge the files and then proceed to delete repeated entries? Not the most efficient from my point of view...

2) Use Dropbox> I have found an entry from Hans talking about this feature, but I am missing some steps. Could anybody kindly explain which is the exact workflow and implementation of this in Cafetran? from what I read that would allow the Tm or Glossary to be updated after few segments by each and one of the translators working in the same project??

3) Use of other cloud services such as TM-Town. 

I would appreciate your comments on the above. 

Thanks! Gracias!

Elena

Hi Alejandro, 

This is Kevin from TM-Town. I can tell you how #3 would work. With the TM-Town / CafeTran integration your translators could share a TM file and multiple translators could search / update that TM in real-time. This feature has not been built out for glossaries yet though, but if you are interested I think it is something that Igor and I could add.

The general workflow would be the following:

1) Each translator connects their TM-Town account from within CafeTran

2) One translator uploads the translation memory file that will be used for the project to TM-Town

3) The above translator shares that TM with the other translators s/he will be collaborating with on TM-Town. To share a document in TM-Town you click on the document and then in the "Document Management" tab you will see the share settings. Just choose the TM-Town users you want to share with.

4) Each translator who is working on the project should do the following: inside CafeTran in the TM-Town tab, you will see a black inner tab called "Documents". Find the shared document and click the "Add segments" checkbox. Now any segment that is translated (by any of the translators) will get immediately added to the shared TM and will be searchable.

I hope to make some videos on the CafeTran / TM-Town integration in the coming week or two, so hopefully that will be useful.

If the above is not clear, please feel free to ask me any questions.

Kevin

Thank you, Kevin, I  really appreciate your answer. 

Is there any way to do this without having to resort to cloud services but just in CT? 

Would appreciate if someone could share other alternatives to be able to consider pros and cons of all the possibilities.

Thanks!!

CT supports the Bonjour protocol. The old Handbook used to have some info about this. Does anyone still have it?
Not Bonjour but another French word ;) CafeTran can work in a server mode, which offers connection to its memories from other computers over network. The typical use of the server mode can be a team translation where two or more translators share their memories while working on a project. Of course, the computer which works as a server and wants be available to other computers over the Internet must have a public IP address. Another example of the server mode is connection and running the program on a server computer which has huge RAM memory and processing power for fast queries of very big resources. Starting the Randezvous memory server Go to Options | Memory | Randezvous server port and check in the box. Default server port is 4242 and can be changed if your computer has this port reserved. Check in the Read Only box if you do not want to give write access to your memories. Press OK to accept the settings and CafeTran will start waiting for search queries from other users. When a new user will try to connect to your memories a request window pops up asking for acceptance. The list of all remote guests to your server is visible in the Memory | Remote guests menu. You can terminate the connection with a guest by clicking at the list item. Check out the box in Options | Memory | Randezvous server port to stop the server. Connection to the Randezvous memory server Click the menu Memory | Connect to remote memory... When the Connection window pops up, type the Host name or IP address of the server in the Host field, a server port in the Port field, if different from default, and press OK. To change the Remote memory integration and type of access, select accordingly in the Connection window. Now, if everything goes well, you will be able to access memories on other computers as your own.

Thank you so much for the info!!

If anyone could please share their experience with Dropbox and CT then I think I could be good to go and choose the option that works best for me. 

Thanks in advance for your time in answering. You are really helping me.

Is the use of a TM with dropbox read only or all users can have access to it and make changes? Thanks!

I didn't test this, but these are my ideas about collaborating via Dropbox (or OneDrive, or Google Drive etc.):

Glossaries

Translator 1 (the leader/terminologist of the translation project) creates a special project glossary and opens it read/write mode

Translators 2...n open the same glossary in read-only mode. They have to regularly reload the glossary (context menu or keyboard shortcut), either after every nth segment or after every n minutes (if this workflow becomes popular, an automatic reloading could be added). The triggering of the reloading can be automated.

Translator 2, 3 etc. can create their own project glossaries and open it read/write. At the end of the morning/day they send it to translator 1 for merging.

TMs

Translator 1 (the leader/terminologist of the translation project) creates a special project TM and opens it read/write mode

Translators 2...n open the same TM in read-only mode. Reloading a TM is not possible. TMs should be closed, synced and reopened. (If this workflow becomes popular, an automatic reloading of TMs could be added).

Translator 2, 3 etc. can create their own project TM and open it read/write. At the end of the morning/day they send it to translator 1 for merging.

When the translators don't work on the project at the same time, every team member can open the resources in read/write mode.

It must be investigated whether resources must be released by CafeTran in order to enable syncing and whether the TM is purged from memory when it is closed and opened again.

Thank you so much, Hans.

I read in a thread in ProZ that Dropbox only works to sync the TMs and Glossaries, not for simultaneous update...In that case, since I would have to perform a sync or merge, I thought of that very same workflow but without dropbox with the idea that each translator would benefit from a read only tmx memory and glossary and then perform at the end of the day a merge of the file following the steps of (quoting Cafetran.wikidot info): 

Putting all the TMXs you want to merge into one folder

– in CafeTran, do Memory > Open Memory and open this folder (CT will treat the folder as a single memory)

– make sure you have selected this folder in the tabbed pane

– do: Memory > Save Memory As…

– the resulting file will contain all of the TMXs in the folder

My idea is that while we are translating, we will use the glossary format txt, as I think is more eye-friendly and for me it offers  the advantage of editing and inserting context, comment, etc. on the spot. Then, if I want to merge, then transform the glossary into txt and once the merge is completed, convert again into a txt file for next use. 

Are they too many steps from your point of view? Does this really differ from the workflow you described above, Hans? 

thank you again!

or actually, just performing txt maintenance + joining glossaries and merging translations and not even having to convert to tmx...It is actually an unnecessary step...

I am writing all these options so that  myself and other newbies in CT can see confirmed from expert users the best workflow/s to follow.

Login to post a comment